Sign in to follow this  
sbennett

General Customizing Help

sbennett

Hi, I just purchased framework, and I'm trying to work on various aspects of my site to get them the way I want them to look. I have some limited CSS experience (built a site from scratch before, but just a novice), but I'm very comfortable with the environment. I want to do things like: - Create my own navbar "theme" where the text is black, and there is no background - Add company name and punchline to the head section (i.e. next to logo), along with contact information. It seems there isn't a reference for "if you want to change this, go here and do this". Where do I start? How do I find the CSS I need to override, or how do I start to create my own navbar (for example) within Framework? I'm not so sure I want to go all out and create my own theme, but I'd like to do some customizations to get my site looking like a business website. Thanks in advance.

Danny
Hi sbennett, Can you provide a link to your website please.

Please search our forums, before posting!

sbennett
Danny, Sorry - I didn't specify this because there is nothing to show. I'm just getting started with my new version, and I'm only on my local machine. I know that it helps the forum to be specific, but I'm trying to understand how to navigate and work with the pagelines framework in general. By purchasing the framework, I was hoping to gain some "building blocks" to make development faster. I'm trying to avoid having to do everything from scratch - BUT I want to make some modifications to the sections and formatting to get the right look and feel. Per my original post, I would like to do things like: - Customize the look of the nav bar (no background or border, black text, with semi transparent grey drop downs) - Add text to the header section (slogan, company name, contact info) - Create my own format for "boxes" (Picture in middle, thin line grey border with title on top and short text area on bottom) - Format menus on sidebars to have a thin grey border with grey title bar (minimize / expand would be great!) These are just examples of things I want to do to get the site how I want it. Is this defeating the purpose of the framework? Am I better off starting from scratch and building my own wordpress theme without the framework? If the framework is indeed the way to go, then how do I best go about these customizations? Do I need to learn and walk through the framework styling and pick it apart to customize it? Or is there a better method to customizing? Thanks in advance for your guidance and support.

catrina
[quote]Customize the look of the nav bar (no background or border, black text, with semi transparent grey drop downs)[/quote] This is possible with CSS added to Custom Code > Custom CSS (more info: http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/Custom_CSS). [quote]Add text to the header section (slogan, company name, contact info)[/quote] A hook can be used to add this additional content to your header (you'll need either [url="http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/How_to_Use_the_Base_Theme"]the base theme[/url] or [url="http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/How_to_Use_the_PageLines_Customize_Plugin"]PageLines Customize plugin[/url] available in the PageLines Store). [quote]Create my own format for "boxes" (Picture in middle, thin line grey border with title on top and short text area on bottom)[/quote] CSS can be applied to create a custom look for these boxes. [quote]Format menus on sidebars to have a thin grey border with grey title bar (minimize / expand would be great!)[/quote] CSS can also be used here. Overall, the best way to customize your site is by using the features available in Framework to the fullest extent and use custom CSS to apply more specific, style-related changes to these features. Hooks (a way of adding content to different parts of the site) are also useful. For further information, please see the documentation: http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/Main_Page

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

sbennett
Catrina, Thank you for your feedback. I've already started going the custom CSS way. With this not being my "day job", I'm probably no where near as knowledgable as you in CSS. I've already used hooks, and custom CSS to modify things, but I was getting frustrated with trying to find the right CSS classes to modify (even with firebug). Thank you,

catrina
Firebug takes a lot of practice (mostly with the CSS selectors rather than the CSS attributes/properties), so no worries there. If you need assistance with anything specific in Firebug, let us know.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse