Sign in to follow this  
karpadiem

Feature Slider Not working with CloudFlare Rocket Booster.

karpadiem

While browsing the support forums here to tweak various things in my new pagelines framework install... I noticed several people (staff and customers) referencing the service CloudFlare. So, I decided to give it a whirl. For the most part Im REALLY happy with it. But I'm having a pageline specific problem, and I'm curious if it is a known incompatibility. When I enable the Rocket Booster Setting in CloudFlare, my five slider images are stacked vertically as if they are the pages body background. Safari does not recover from this... however... chrome seems to fix it self after a few seconds... as does safari on my ipad. Any guidance in this issue? I would REALLY like to use this feature as it added 4 points to my pagespeed score. :) Thanks! -Jake

Rob
Jake, I'd say your host server is running out of RAM when images stack like that. It's actually common following the update of WordPress to 3.4, as this added quite a bit of memory requirement, particularly PHP needs. Ask your host how much memory is allocated to PHP. If it's 32Mb (most common), ask them to update that to at least 128Mb. I think the fact that Chrome snaps in eventually shows the page is slow loading. Safari locks in the condition expecting a fast load. Pingdom is telling me you have 56 requests, but still take 6.26s to load 2.1Mb. My own site (using MaxCDN) takes 2.08s to load 1.6Mb and 155 requests. My slides (I have 7 at present) load without stacking. Before adding CDN, the slides stacked and it took 7 to 11s to load.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

karpadiem
I'll take those steps. But I guess I'm confused as to why this error would only happen when I have rocket booster turned on with CloudFlare? Isn't it at that point not relying on my server? Seems more like a parsing issue of some sort. I guess my question is, do you really think that increasing the memory of my server will change the outcome of an issue that is triggered by CloudFlare? I'd be willing to turn rocketbooster on for a few hours to duplicate the problem if you want to take a better look. I'll contact my host in the mean time! :) Thanks!

Rob
I don't think it's necessary to boost the memory, but the memory allocation. Most systems like Plesk or cPanel determine how much RAM is allocated to various resources. You can change the allocation with root access, usually. Some hosts need to do it for you, if they do.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur