Sign in to follow this  
bobborsongmailcom

Page Advance not working

bobborsongmailcom

I didn't even realize this until I received an email to day but apparantly when you scroll down to the bottom of my site and hit the page advance (i.e button reading "2" and "3", etc.) nothing happens. The site simply reloads back at page "1". Any ideas? www.lifeofanarchitect.com thanks for looking into for me?

Andrew

I would check with the provider of the wp-pagenavi plugin... likely they've seen the issue before; and I haven't... Another thing you could look into is how WP is handling the permalinks... Or plugin conflicts.. (deactivate to test) Nice site btw!

bobborsongmailcom

Hi Andrew, Thanks for the compliment - I appreciate it. I deactivated the plugin and everything went back to normal but I have since tried 3 other page navigation plugins and I get the same problems. I left the last one installed so you could see fo ryourself. Since it is happening on all plugins, I am assuming its a theme issue and not a plugin issue. Let me know what you think. Thanks, Bob

bobborsongmailcom

what I meant to say is that is is a configuration issue. I think some setting that I have on my site is possibly causing the problem.

cmunns

I do see what you mean. Do the plug-ins you've tested/used claim to be WP3.0 compatible? I know a lot of plug-in authors are slow to update (remember that they don't make money on downloads and therefore it's a part time gig) If they say that they're 3.0 compatible then it may be a conflict, but I think the issue is these plug-ins not getting updated to the new navigation code provided in WP3.0 WP-PageNavi for instance, 28 ppl say it works...18 ppl say it's broken, that's not a good statistic. Do you have anything else installed that messes with pages/navigation?

bobborsongmailcom

Not that I am aware of. I will search around for one that says it's 3.0 compatible. I found one that originally worked on the this site http://the-ipad-site.com/latest-news/ but at some point, it stopped working on my site

cmunns

Well sometimes plug-ins don't play nice with each other. You may have one that he doesn't that is getting yours to break.

bobborsongmailcom

I have deactivated all plugins and I can't even get the old "Previous Entries" and "Next Entries" buttons to work. This is getting exhausting - any more ideas?

Andrew

I have a couple more guesses for you... I know how frustrating some issues can get. Since these page navigation plugins, links are all linking to different 'permalinks' this issue could be related to your '.htaccess' file. This file controls what happens when people access certain permalinks on your server. I would open up this file on your server and post the code here, or deactivate permalinks for a minute and see what happens...(I realize you have tons of content, so this might not be a good 'solution') Sometimes plugins can write to this file, and these changes remain when you deactivate the plugin. These bugs can be extremely hard to find. (For example, one plugin wrote to this file took all the uploaded images on PageLines down for a day until we found it...)

bobborsongmailcom

I gave up on this a few months ago but have decided to revisit things. I still have the same problem - the Previous Entries and Next Entries buttons at the bottom of the site don't work. I don't have any page navigation plugins running and I don't know what would happen if I deactivated permalinks - even for a short while (I'm not the technically gifted from a code standpoint). Also, where is the '.htaccess' file located? At this point, I'm not looking for anything fancy, I would just like to have visitors be able to work their way through my site without have to search or hit up the archive section.

Andrew

HI Rob, Just get into your server via FTP... it should show you some .htaccess files... if you don't have one, get FireFTP or Transmit by Panic :)

bobborsongmailcom

So what happens when I deactivate permalinks? What am I looking for in the .htaccess file? I would be happy just making use of what comes out of the box with the Pagelines theme but I don't even have that functionality. Can we focus on that issue first before moving onto to pasting in new code that provides added functionality?

bobborsongmailcom

In addition, I just noticed that if I do hit the 'Previous Entries' button at the bottom of the page, the URL changes from http://www.lifeofanarchitect.com to http://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/page/2/ even though they don't look any different. As an experiment, I loaded the latest version of WP-PaveNavi and it didn't work - I was hoping that it would possibly make a difference or write over/ replace whatever code is causing this problem. (I did go back and unload it again BTW)

cmunns

Robert, I'm wondering if the snippet of code I gave you a while back to display two full posts on the blog page is a factor here. Would you try removing it temporarily?

bobborsongmailcom

That did the trick. Is there a way to achieve both?

cmunns

I can't remember what I gave you. I would have to see it to know where it went wrong. A simple conditional probably would fix it.

bobborsongmailcom

This is what you gave me: <?php if(is_home()):?> <?php query_posts('showposts=2'); ?> <?php endif;?>

bryan-hadaway

Forwarding to developers. Thanks, Bryan

bobborsongmailcom

any response yet? -thanks

cmunns

Robert. Sorry this thread got lost a bit, but i've found your answer, just change the code to what's shown below. ` <?php if(is_home()):?> <?php query_posts('showposts=2'.'&paged='.$paged); ?> <?php endif;?> `