Sign in to follow this  
halsey

can't control size of vimeo embed in feature in 2.2

halsey

Hi- I am embedding vimeo videos into features and they are all defaulting to the full size of my feature area rather than obeying the size set in the embed code. I've tried both the old and new forms of embed code and neither work for changing the size.

This used to work fine before my transition to Framework from PlatformPro. Thanks. -Halsey

Rob
Halsey, in the post or page where the slider appears, please look at the PageLines Meta Settings for Features and determine if the height setting is static or aspect mode (ratio). If set to a static height, the video should appear fixed to meet that size. In aspect mode, it will adjust proportionally as it appears to be. Be sure to save the page or post settings.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

halsey
thanks, @rangelone. I tried your suggestion, but it doesn't do what I need, unfortunately. If I set the feature meta setting for the Page to Aspect, it makes the entire feature section shorter, but doesn't change the height of the video itself, resulting in cutting off the bottom of the video, including the play bar. what I really want is to leave the size of the feature static, but be able to adjust the size of the video that is sitting inside the feature. ie. the feature is 960x500px but the video is 600x330px or whatever. this way, I can display the video fully and still have the overlay with text at the bottom including info about the video without obscuring anything. Sorry if I didn't explain this well enough last time. Thanks. -Halsey

Rob
If the video is 338px high, you will want to have a static height of 338px (minimum). They should match.

halsey
this method does not give me what I need because, as alluded to above, the feature text overlay, which I want to retain, covers up part of the video including the playbar. also, I have a feature set with several videos and several photos which are not all the same size. Is there no way to have a video displayed in a feature where the video is smaller than the feature size? this worked great before and I don't see why it can't happen now, but I just can't figure it out. I'm fine with using custom css as needed, but could use some advice. thanks. -Halsey

catrina
CSS can't be used to resize video embed codes, unfortunately, so you'd need to change the feature size itself. Would you mind that? The video size can only be controlled within the video embed code.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

halsey
The problem is that the video size is not, in fact, being controlled by the height and width parameters in the video embed code. I can set those arbitrarily and they have no effect on the size of the video within the Feature, so they are somehow being ignored. The video remains the full width of the Feature. Furthermore, when I code inspect the tag containing the video, the values I entered in my embed code do show up, but the display is not taking them into account. It seems like there is some sort of auto-resizing that is happening, though I have not checked the "Make Feature HTML Full Width" box. It worked fine in PlatformPro to set the video size within the embed code to be smaller than the feature size, which left padding around the video and prevented the bottom text overlay from obscuring the video. I realize Framework may use totally different code for Feature sliders... Is there any way to solve/hack this or do I need to do a re-design? Thanks. -Halsey

Danny
Hi Halsey, I will bring this to the developers attention on your behalf and see if this is a bug or not. Thanks for reporting.

Please search our forums, before posting!

halsey
Thank you, Danny! It will be great to know for sure one way or the other... -Halsey

Rob
As soon as we hear back from the developers, we'll post a reply here.

peters_publishing
I'm having the exact same problem with YouTube embed codes. No matter how I change the settings, including the widths set in the embed code, the videos are stuck on full width. Hope there's a solution coming soon.

peters_publishing
Any news on this? I'm on 2.2.4 and still seeing the same problem.

catrina
What happens if you try to add a YouTube embed code? Is the size controllable? (So we can see if it's just Vimeo code or video embed code in general that isn't responding correctly)

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

peters_publishing
Same with YouTube embed.

beardedavenger
With 2.2, all embedded videos fill the parent container that they are in. This means, all embed, object, iframes become responsive. So now, if you wanted to make it a certain size, just wrap the embed, into a div, and set the width with a class. You could probably do something like this
your embed code
Doing that, would have the video be 1/3rd as wide as the parent container, and be centered. Nick

Something big is coming for DMS + photographers.

http://fotostheme.com

Nick Haskins & CO - New home for all of my PageLines Store products! 

http://nickhaskins.co

Better DMS - News, Tutorials, and Tips

http://betterdms.com

peters_publishing
I'm not sure I like this feature as it is. The videos look pretty crappy when they go right up to the border of the feature. It seems the default should be to have at least some space all around the video.

peters_publishing
Furthermore, I have now idea how to use the code above. For instance on this page, I want the video in the first feature at the top of the page to have just a little bit of white around the edges: http://www.skypespanishclasses.com/ What do I do?

halsey
Thanks @beardedavenger...it's not the prettiest thing behind the scenes, but a variation on your suggested solution does the trick for me. I added a few new custom classes and styled appropriately and I've got videos embedded in Features more or less as they were before the 2.0 upgrade.

Rob
We're glad you were able to resolve it with Nick's assistance. I'll accept his reply for you.