Sign in to follow this  
halsey

upgrade to 2.0 resets entire site to default

halsey

I'm trying to upgrade my site from PlatformPro child 1.4/Platform 1.5.3 to Framework 2.0 and when I activate the 2.0 theme, my site reverts to what appears to be the default settings (pagelines header, all black text on white ground etc). In other words, every bit of customization I did is no longer showing up. Thankfully, re-activating the 1.4 theme gets me back to where I started, but I would like to take advantage of the new theme, not to mention not waste the $$ I spent on it. I'm on WP 3.4. I tried exporting my Pagelines settings from 1.4, but was not able to import them into 2.0; import failed. Is there some sort of interim step that I need to go through to get my settings to convert perhaps? I've read a ton of stuff on the forums about upgrade issues and they seem to run the gamut, but they all seem to indicate that though you will likely need to tweak a few things, it should not be a matter of starting from scratch. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks. -Halsey

catrina
PageLines Framework isn't an upgrade for PlatformPro (since PageLines Framework is a framework and PlatformPro is a theme). Please refer to this documentation on the differences making the switch between the two: http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/Is_it_Safe_to_Upgrade

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

halsey
Hi Catrina- I realize that there has been semantic lack of clarity with the word "upgrade" in this situation, but regardless, there are plenty of examples in these forums where it is indicated that by switching from PlatformPro to Framework, you do not have to start from scratch. Are you suggesting that this is not the case ie. nothing at all other than the database is preserved in transition? This would be in conflict with a lot of other information on this forum and experiences of friends of mine who have made the transition. I have looked at a large number of pages on this forum or otherwise about the 'upgrade' and none of them that I have seen have specifically addressed the issue I am experiencing, so if you have any thoughts on that, it would be much appreciated. Also, for some reason, the link you provided is leading me to a bad page. Thanks a lot. -Halsey

catrina
Maybe I wasn't clear. The upgrade shouldn't reset the site at all (not sure why this happened on yours). Are your pages and posts still intact? Is it just settings + customizations that aren't working? Also, not sure why the link is leading to a bad page. It's working fine for me.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

halsey
Hi...thanks, Catrina. My pages and posts seem to be intact ie. the database has not been erased or anything. But the entire site looks completely different; no settings changes or customizations that I had made before transferred. I'm very glad to hear that this is not expected as that suggests there is something I can do to fix it. Do you have any ideas for me to try? Is there something that I need to do right after migrating that will cause the customizations to go into effect or something? This link works for me, but not the one you posted for some strange reason: [url="http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/Is_it_Safe_to_Upgrade%3F"]http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/Is_it_Safe_to_Upgrade%3F[/url] I had already seen the page, though, and unfortunately, it does not address my specific issue. Thanks. -Halsey

catrina
Usually some settings and customizations transfer over, but not all, but your case is unusual. Did any errors show up at all when trying to transfer the settings? Also, if your menu isn't looking the same, you need to save it in Appearance > Menus

Designer | Catrina Dulay

halsey
I tried to export my current settings and import them, but the import failed, as mentioned above. The error message was something like: "There was an error on your import. Please make sure you are using the correct file" After much more searching on the forums, I saw this post [url="http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/15983/import-settings/p1"]http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/15983/import-settings/p1[/url] about converting the settings from serialized php to json, so I tried that, but the recommended converter failed. I found another online converter that did the trick: [url]http://i-tools.org/unserialize[/url] The json settings imported and now things are much closer to how they were. Still a bunch of tweaks to make, but manageable and certainly not starting from scratch. Thanks. -Halsey

Rob
The conversion from PlatformPro to PageLines Framework should not actually require an import of old settings. They should still be in the database and likely that's why you're getting an error. Because much of PageLines Framework is different, with hundreds of new options, there are going to be some settings that will need to be reset manually. This is why we offered PlatformPro users free or deeply discounted upgrades back in December. We've gone now from 2.0 to 2.2.1, the latter being yet another major upgrade, pulling it further from PlatformPro. When I made the initial conversion from Platform to Framework, only two critical areas needed changing: The menu needed to be resaved (this happens with any theme change); and the widget order was disorganized. I simply had to move my widgets up and down in Dashboard > Appearance > Widgets to put things back in order. If I had any issues with the old custom CSS, I could always copy it from the Platform and paste it in Custom Code > CSS Rules in Framework. Some CSS has changed and needs to be updated, but this would only take a maximum of 30 minutes if you have Firebug for Firefox or Chrome's Inspection Tools.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

halsey
Thanks, @rangelone...I'm not sure why I needed to manually convert and import my settings after the migration to 2.*, but that's the only thing that got me anything other than a complete loss of all of my customizations. After the conversion to json, the import worked and then with some messing around of menus, widgets and some random other stuff, I think I'm ok. -Halsey