Sign in to follow this  
francescofornaro

How to "split" the full width sidebar

francescofornaro

Hi all, in my personal website (http://www.francescofornaro.com/) I use the Full Width Sidebar to show, just below the header, my last 4 blog posts titles. Now I'd like to show besides also the last 4 comments, basically I need a "splitted" space in two columns. Is that possible? Thank you so much and best regards, Francesco.

James B
I'm not a moderator but might be able to help as did something similar. There might be a much easier way to do this so see who else answers etc. Firstly I had to get a plugin which would allow me to select two different sets of 'recent posts' using categories and place them in two widgets displaying in the sidebar. Then using CSS I could select each widget and make one float left and one right. Then it was just a case of sorting out the width of the widget pads. I'll have a look and see if there is a way to split the content inside the pad, if I find one I'll let you know. I would assume you've have to use a hook but I'm not sure how to do that. Otherwise following the method above I used the below CSS. Try this but change the numbers 4 & 5 to reflect the ID's of your widgets and change the widget name to reflect the widget you're using. Also change the pixel width to reflect half or just under half the width of your site, so it they sit nicely together. [code]li#recent-posts-4.widget_recent_entries{ float: left; } li#recent-posts-5.widget_recent_entries{ float: right; } li#recent-posts-5.widget_recent_entries div.widget-pad {width:500px;} li#recent-posts-4.widget_recent_entries div.widget-pad {width:500px;}[/code] Hope that helps J

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

Danny
Hi francescofornaro, Let us know if @jamieb23 suggestion works for you!

Please search our forums, before posting!

francescofornaro
Hi All, thank you for your support. @Jamieb23, could you please show me which plugin you used? I tried with Special Recent Post but I don't understand how to filter and show only comments on the right side. When you write "select two different sets of 'recent posts' using categories" should I assume that I can show comments selecting a "category"? I'm a bit confused. Thanks again, Francesco.

James B
Hi sorry for the delay only just seen this... I no longer have the site running so can't check I'm afraid. I always keep a copy of custom CSS though in a text document in case I need it again etc. What you could do is use the 'special recent posts' widget, create two new categories titles 'left' and 'right'. Use the opposing one for every other post in addition to selecting your normal category for the items to appear in your main blog? Then exclude the categories 'left' and 'right' from appearing anywhere else on the site ( like in the navigation bar, so those categories are literally behind the scenes for your use only ).

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

francescofornaro
Hi, thank you again. My point is that I want to show just comments on the right column. So is it possibile to assign a category to comments? This is what I'm not sure about. I need the column on the left showing last 4 blog post titles, and the right column showing last 4 comments. Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help. Francesco.

James B
Oh yes, thats even easier.... sorry my complete misunderstanding (its been a long day)... So you want to show recent posts in the left and recent comments in the right? Set up recent blog post titles in one widget, then recent comments on the other widget in the sidebar, put it live on your website and send me a DM or email as I'm only here every few hours and I'll tweak the CSS to suit and send you. My email is jamieblanchett@me.com. I'm in UK so bare in mind time difference etc, i might not pick it up till tomorrow as its 20.27 now and have people over soon. I'll try and work it out and send you CSS in-between if possible, otherwise be tomorrow. J

James B

Rob
Buongiorno Francesco, I think the issue you're having is more the division of the space into two columns than sourcing the content into the space. Is that correct? Have you thought about using Facebook comments? You can easily place those using code provided by FaceBook or our FB plugins. If so, try using SoapBoxes there. You can have two soapboxes, side by side. In the left, include one source of posts, in the right, comments. I believe the SoapBox section is now available to Plus account holders.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

francescofornaro
Hi all, thank you so much. Finally I found a solution. As you can see [url="http://www.francescofornaro.com/"]here[/url], I used SoapBoxes and place them in one row. Then I use a plugin to add PHP code inside. The code in the left side is easy, just: ', ''); ?> The code in the right side is more complicated and uses HTMP output. I don't know if there's something simpler to show recents comments. Any idea? In any case, this is what I was looking for. I thank you for your great support (especially Jamieb23) and looking forward for further improvements. Best regards, Francesco.

Rob
Francesco, there's a plugin called Shortcode Exec PHP, which would take the

francescofornaro
Thank you so much!!

Rob
You're quite welcome. Glad that helped.