theoptimystic

Putting a link in the header.

Rob
You need to add a hook. Do you have the PageLines Customize plugin? How about the Action Map? Please reference this for the list of hooks: http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/PageLines_Hooks This talks about how to do hooks: http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/PageLines_Themes

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

theoptimystic
I have the pagelines customize plugin. Using this, how might I simply add the link? THx

catrina
You need to use the example of the hook in the functions.php file (Plugins > Editor > select "PageLines Customize" from the dropdown list on the right side) and inside it add the HTML for a link. The HTML that goes inside the hook should look like this: [code]Your link name[/code]

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

theoptimystic
Just by adding that in the funtion.php of the pagelines customize plugin gives me a syntax error. I know there is more to it than that. Please advise. thanks.

Rob
Catrina presumed you'd first follow the instructions I provided before adding the link. Yes, a straightforward link in the functions.php will cause a problem or two. However, if you do your hook correctly, a link as she provided is really all you need. It must be wrapped however, in the hook and a div. Here's an example: [code]// add_action('hook_name','function name'); // ---> uncomment to load add_action('pagelines_inside_top_branding', 'my_link'); // function name function my_link() { ?>

theoptimystic
Isn't there a simpler way using pagelines customize plugin? Someone help me put a shopping cart in the header using pagelines customize and it was much simpler.

Rob
I am not sure why you can't customize the code provided which goes into the functions.php file inside pagelines-customize plugin. The CSS goes best in Custom Code in CSS Rules and is essentially a copy/paste thing. Problem with this? If so, please explain.

theoptimystic
Problem is the copy paste of this ends in a syntax error every time. If it were simple to me it would be done. I do not know how to create a hook, and the explanation for how to create a hook is outrageously, unnecessarily, complex when I know someone else (DANNY) from pagelines helped me do the EXACT same thing without learning how to use a hook. Problem with that answer?

Rob

Tom Hoey
I guess I should have chosen a user name like pessamistic...altho Optymistic isn't really an optimist. I don't know if that was a help to the questioner but it was a big help to me. Finally somebody explained a hook, where it goes and how in simple terms. Thanks. Great answer.

catrina
@theoptimystic Please refer to @rangelone's last response for further insight on the use and implementation of a hook.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

theoptimystic
@rangelone....omg! I am so sorry. I did not know you were providing the hook! I did not know that was the hook. It all makes sense now, I thought Catrina was showing me an example of how she creates a hook and that I would have to do the same. thank you....that should not have been so hard :/

theoptimystic
ok, got the link in there...tried lots of different css (including what you gave me). Tried it in custom css in pagelines and tried the css also in pagelines customize plugin-->css. Can't get the link right justified. Everything I do alters the logo that's in the header. please advise.

theoptimystic
@rangelone, I'm trying to use CSS to right justify the link in the header...can you help? See above comment. thx.