Sign in to follow this  
sisyphus

Is there a way to hide "restore to default"?

sisyphus

Is there a way to get rid of that nasty little button?

mackenzie
The url provided doesn't seem to work for me. Can you reply with your website's url please? Thanks!

Mackenzie - PageLines Help Desk

The Centsible Family - Writer, Photographer and Coffee Addict

---------------------------------------------------

Kindly search this forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

sisyphus
I entered "universal" into the field because it has nothing to do with a particular site, and wouldn't be visible anyway. My question refers to the button at the bottom of the Pagelines settings panel.

catrina
When it comes to settings for PageLines on the Dashboard, I'm not sure of ways to hide any of them. Is there a more specific reason why you'd want to hide that setting?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

sisyphus
Yeah, it's like having an eject button in the middle of the radio knobs! When I fist started tweaking around in Pagelines I made some changes to a template or something and then thought, "Oh, that's no good, I'll just reset this section's defaults" and wiped out everything I'd done up to that point. I often do my work from a laptop and the silly finger stylus often inadvertently clicks as I'm moving it. The reset default button is an accident waiting to happen. I'd like to see it buried deep in the advanced section or GONE.

Rob
I will make the suggestion for you in my weekly report. However, since there's a popup asking if you want to proceed, I don't see how changing it will be justified by our developers. It takes two distinct actions, not one, to reset the defaults. Site defaults are not section defaults, which we don't have. Proper reading of the documentation always helps to understand what things do. http://www.pagelines.com/wiki

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

sisyphus
I've read the documentation and I know what things do. This is the second time you've responded on my posts and the second time I've felt insulted. There's no need to be condescending. It's completely unnecessary. There are a number of threads in this forum pleading for help after they've completed those TWO distinct actions. I've read them. And I've read everything else that pertains to the restore defaults button. Obviously, I'm not the only idiot here. Can YOU justify to me the reason such a dangerous button should be in plain site as it is? I intend to use Pagelines to build out client websites and turn them over with full administrative privileges. When the client clicks the button(s) by mistake, should I have them contact you so you can tell them what a bonehead they were?

sisyphus
Here's a panicked thread that YOU responded to saying you see how the wording could be better: http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/13877/please-help-i-reset-all-platform-pro-settings-by-accident-and-am-supposed-to-launch-tomorrow/p1

Simon
You could quite easily hide the button with css. Just create a mu-plugin that adds some css into the admin area. mu-plugins cannot be turned off by users.

Rob
I did not mean to be condescending, nor did I phrase it, in my opinion to be so. I generally speak and write very matter-of-fact. If you're offended, I apologize. No insult was ever intended and I never called you an idiot. No such thought ever came to my mind. You'll note from that same link... my writing is consistent with everyone. I did not dispute your request or say it would not be done. I only pointed out that because it's a two step process, it's going to be hard to justify. Remember, I am not a programmer, so I must justify my requests for changes to the developers. Very few people have had this problem and as I pointed out in that other topic, taking time to read popups helps prevent accidental actions. I admitted I've done the same thing. As I did not design that setup, I can't justify it for anyone and while I am not disagreeing that it's potentially problematic, I can't easily justify moving it either. Therein lies my problem submitting the request. Nonetheless, I will do so, however, I cannot guaranty that the developers, over whom I have little or no influence, will change it. I did not want you to have high expectations with low results.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

sisyphus
@ Rangelone Sorry for being reactionary. It came at a bad time and I shouldn't have been venting at you. I've had trouble with my own matter-of-fact manner. That said, very few people had problems with their Ford Pintos blowing up from a poorly designed gas tank. And, if I read it right, [i]no one[/i] had a problem with the brakes in their Toyotas. But Ford and Toyota were quick to jump on the problem. sunnybains, from the link above, had an entire site wiped out hours before it was to be delivered to the client. Isn't that enough justification to, at a bare minimum, change the wording on the warning pop-up? And that was nine months ago. I, too, am not a programmer. My brother is. And he's constantly complaining about how dumb users are because they can't click the right buttons, even if he's reversed conventions. I try to convince him that he should back away from his indignation and make the buttons comply with internet standards but he refuses and, instead, goes on being frustrated at their ignorance. I simply can not see a reason why any programmer or developer would be resistant to user feedback and refuse to make changes. You have a beta in testing right now, if moving the button isn't a possibility, at least reword the pop-up with a stern warning that this action will erase everything you've done and reset EVERYTHING to default conditions and that it can't be undone. I've personally made changes to a warning pop-up that I had custom built for one of my sites, and not in some fancy WP interface. If I were working slowly, it's still a 10 minute job.

catrina
[quote]if moving the button isn't a possibility, at least reword the pop-up with a stern warning that this action will erase everything you've done and reset EVERYTHING to default conditions and that it can't be undone.[/quote] ^ I'll add this suggestion to a weekly report

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

sisyphus
@Catrina Thanks. Hopefully the suggestion will be worded in such a way that the developers know the ideal solution is to move the reset to the advanced section, as that's exactly what it is and where it belongs. And that a half-decent compromise would be to reword the warning.

Danny
I have accepted Catrina's reply for moderating reasons. Thanks for the suggestion.

Please search our forums, before posting!

sisyphus
Just want to throw this last little bit in and then I'm done. Here are the search results for "restore to default" from the Pagelines Wiki, linked to above: [i]There were no results matching the query. Create the page "Restore to default" on this wiki![/i] I this a true Wiki? Can I go in and create a page that spells out what I know about the evil button?

catrina
I just added your request to a weekly report. As for adding to the Wiki, it's only possible for PageLines staff to add content. Customer suggestions for Wiki documentation are submitted to Henry, so I'll submit your Wiki doc suggestion to him.

Designer | Catrina Dulay