revoltoid

How do I create a custom 404 page?

James B    436
James B

When you deactivated everything and then reactivated, did you test the contentbox text whilst all the plugins were deactivated? I've just tried setting up the same thing in my test site and its working, so there must be a conflict of some kind on your install.

If you want to set up an admin level user id on your install and dm me the username and password I'll log in and take a look for you.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

charrabennett    0
charrabennett

sent pm. Thanks

Simon    247
Simon

OK i think this is a PHP limitation.

Can you create a file in your blog DIR so here: 

/home/content/97/10165997/html/

call it php.ini and add the following to it:

max_input_vars = 6000

charrabennett    0
charrabennett

Just saw this (thanks for your prompt reply) and will make changes and update you soon.

charrabennett    0
charrabennett

Any other ideas?

James B    436
James B

Did Simon's solution not have any effect? If we log in again we'll need to disable all your plugins in order to see if we can find anything else out, if you have any settings you're worried might be lost by deactivating these plugins please back up in advance. Let us know.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

charrabennett    0
charrabennett

I've already done that, deactivated everything and no, adding max_input_vars = 6000 did nothing.

James B    436
James B

Well I'm quite happy to go in and have another look around to see if there's anything else I can spot but I'd need to your permission to log in and to test inside the admin area :-)

James B

charrabennett    0
charrabennett

Give me 20 min to backup text widgets.

James B    436
James B

Ok let me know when you're ready :-)

James B

charrabennett    0
charrabennett

Ok its ready.

Simon    247
Simon

Your host might have user php.ini disabled. There is no way for us to tell.

Ask them what max_input_vars is set to, and if its set to the default of 1000 can you have it upped.

Ask them if you have mod_security enabled, if so can you disable it in your wp-admin.

Simon    247
Simon

ps, you have not provided a url or anything for us to use to try and help you.

Simon    247
Simon

Oh wait, if were talking about the same URL as the one listed in your profile....

800 other sites on your IP, some of them are flagged as questionable content, and its godaddy?

charrabennett    0
charrabennett

Sorry, its on http://sell-4free.net and php.ini I went in and verified that it allows for settings to be in that file as overrides.

Simon    247
Simon

They appear to have a reseller account and are just reselling space on the same server.

James B    436
James B

Hi Charra

Ok I've been in and had a really good look around.

First issue is there is a plugin conflict, when all the plugins are disabled the text in the wp admin area resolves to normal size and the drag and drop acts as normal.

So you'll need to go through and see which plugin is causing the issue by deactivating one by one to see which is causing the changes on the admin area.

Second issue, the contentbox clone you're using is actually going into the 404 template, however any content placed inside seems to overridden by the code that's been inserted into the sitewide defaults panel for the contentbox. I can't see if this code relates to a plugin you have installed or is referenced in any css but it doesn't seem to change regardless of what information is entered into the contentbox clone's meta options. This could be related directly to the code being used or the php info Simon's mentioned above.

Good news is if i place a different section in there, like a full width sidebar then it reacts as normal. I was going to put in a fullwidth sidebar or a universal sidebar in with a text widget so you could enter your own text as planned, but both are being used. So for the moment I've put in the standard 404 text until you can either free up a spare sidebar or see if the other options above resolve the meta box settings saving.

James B

charrabennett    0
charrabennett

Ok and I thank you sincerely for your time. I will address these in the morning.

Thanks for spending your time on this.

James B    436
James B

You're welcome. I hope you get it resolved Charra, keep us posted :-)

James B

veronica.menelao    0
veronica.menelao

Sorry for the intrusion, but I noticed your conversation while searching about the 404 hack. I noticed that one plugin which always enters in conflict with PL is ProfileBuilder. Last year I had to deactivate it. And use ThemeMyLogin, which actually has problems in redirection with Wordpress 3.5 and had to be deactivated too.

Hope it helps, best.

logomini.jpg

#28CABEBC