Sign in to follow this  
Eileen Starbuck

font changed to italics!?!

Eileen Starbuck

what could cause the font to suddenly change to italics half way down my blog page. my first couple of posts look fine...but the rest of the posts appear in italics and that continues into my sidebar. the actual post pages are fine...its just the blog roll. i checked the .html and my custom .css...but everything looks fine. (granted...im not a programmer.) advice?

"...learning, growing and sharing online!"

http://www.everythingeileen.com

Danny
Hi, You most likely have somewhere in one of your posts that has not been closed like so . Therefore, best to check all your posts and see if this is the case.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Eileen Starbuck
Okay...I think I figured this out...and I think it may be a bug. (...please correct me if I'm wrong! lol) I'm working with a magazine view. The blog page has 2 full width excerpts and 2 small excerpts underneath that. The first small except has an italics sentence that is cut mid-sentence (character cut-off at 55). I think that since it's cut-off...the doesn't get recognized. After that...the next small excerpt and all of my sidebar information is shown in italics. ** If I remember the italics of that one sentence...everything appears fine.

Eileen Starbuck
opps...I meant: "if I REMOVE the italics of the one sentence...everything appears fine."

Rob
I imagine the basic solution is going to be to avoid using html in your excerpts. You may well be correct about the code being snipped by the 55 word limit. However, that applies ONLY when the excerpt is pulled directly from the post. If you copy/paste the first sentence or two (depending on length) from your posts and paste it into the excerpt field, directly, you can have the full excerpt under your own control. Your post can then have all the HTML it wants, but the excerpt would be clean.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Eileen Starbuck
Whoa...that has me confused. (first, why would I stop using .html in excerpts?!? ...isn't that like saying stop using cells in excel?) I'm not copy/pasting anything. I thought excerpts were automatically created on a blog directly from posts?! (...isn't that why there is a variable that asks you how many characters you want to limit the excerpt?) Now...if I wanted to copy/past a few sentence into an 'excerpt field' to have full control...where would I find that field?! I've looked around and I can't find an 'excerpt field' that I can place different text than my original post.

Rob
To clarify, I didn't say stop, I said avoid. I only said it because it's a sure fire way of ensuring no HTML code is broken up by a clipped excerpt. It's not mandatory. I didn't say you were copying and pasting, but said you could copy and paste. In my site, to gain total control over the excerpts, I copy/paste and often edit the first one or two sentences into the excerpt field allowing me to have a custom excerpt for each post if I wish. The excerpt field is normally found just below the editing box in the post editing page. If you don't see it there, go to any post in edit mode, then, up at the top right, you'll see "Screen Options". Click it and a drop down panel will appear. Check the box for "Excerpts" and then click "Screen Options" again. Now all posts will display the excerpt editing box. Personally, I really prefer this method because not all excerpts are simply the first 55 words from a post. I might open a post with a complex statement that doesn't lend itself well to being clipped, but can write a much more enticing excerpt separately. Yes, it is a default capability of WP and PageLines, and of course it's up to you what's best for your needs. They're not mutually exclusive. If you don't add an excerpt manually, WP kicks in and grabs those first 55 words.

Eileen Starbuck
Ahhh...thanks for clearing that up. ;-) Exactly what I needed to know.

Rob
Sorry. I tend to be very wordy.