Sign in to follow this  
freshlightstudios

Video Not Responsive

freshlightstudios

I'm finding that my video is not adjusting responsively. I have the site set to be responsive, everything scales responsively except the video. I'm embedding the video in a Feature. I've tried iFrame, old Youtube embed, and [youtube width="" height=""]href="", and none of them works. I know video can be responsive, I've built a WP site with a different framework than Pagelines and it works great. Can Pagelines make a video responsive? How?

busisolutions
I found a plugin to handle this: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/fitvids-for-wordpress/ It is working nicely on a development site I am working on at the moment

freshlightstudios
What tags are you wrapping the link with? Are you adding the video to a page or to a Feature? What css selector did you use?

Rob
Videos are not inherently responsive, particularly ones provided by an external source. Busisolutions is trying to help you with a good recommendation. Did you try the plugin? If you're speaking again, of the videos you try to embed in your slides, they will likely not be responsive and definitely not with shortcodes. jQuery will control the responsiveness but if it contains something of a fixed size provided by a 3rd party source, it cannot behave responsively. Note: Please do not use the "Reject" button unless the answer provided is patently incorrect. It's considered rather bad form. It will not get you a faster or better reply. When dissatisfied with the answer, just reply and the topic remains open. We answer open topics with equal precedence as new or rejected ones.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

freshlightstudios
Thanks, I didn't understand that about the "reject". I have installed the recommended plugin and am not clear on how to even use it. I have used a different WP Framework and used a plugin called Responsive Video Embeds, and used [youtube width="" height=""]http://www.anyvid.c o m[/youtube] to add the video to a page. AND, it works responsively! Here is an example of using a fixed dimension that works, and I believe the plugin is jQuery based. I'm really surprised that Pagelines hasn't come up with a solid, simple to use method of making video responsive when added to Features. I am confident there is a simple method once it's found. I'm not a heavy developer. I'm relying on Pagelines to come to a solution. I can't figure out busisolution's solution either.

Rob
I'd suggest starting off by reading the instructions for the plugin busisolutions kindly recommended. I'm sure if you spent sufficient time on it, the solution will become clear however, he wasn't aware you're using these videos in a jQuery slider. While I completely understand what that plugin did for you, that too wasn't likely under the envelope of a slider. As I've said in your other topic, our slider uses the older iframe-based embed code which contains specific sizes. Even with those sizes specified, it's possible to be responsive. I just don't see how your site can display as responsive any element coming from a 3rd party source that's not responsive at the source.

freshlightstudios
I want to clarify things. This site (www.emadtadrosmd.com) uses the plugin Responsive Video Embeds and [youtube width="" height=""]http://www.anysite. c o m[/youtube] embedded in a WP page via the Editor; I've edited the actual video link here, same as [youtube width="" height=""]Absolute URL[/youtube]. I don't know if it is a jQuery based plugin or not. I've tried this plugin in Pagelines in the Feature I set up to display the video. It didn't work. I used the embed code method above, iFrame, old youtube embed too. Didn't work. I've tried adding it to a Pagelines simple page and it didn't work. busisolutions recommended the plugin Fitvids for Wordpress, and it apparently is jQuery based, and I can't seem to figure out how to make my vid work responsively embedded in a Feature. The instructions for this plugin are poor. I'm saying that Pagelines should provide a clear method to get video working responsively in any Feature, Widget, you name it that Pagelines offers. Why is this so hard to understand? I should at this point be able to come on Pagelines, type in the tags "video" and "responsive" and have a tutorial come up on how to do this. Why not? It's very frustrating to say the least. A number of months ago I was working on this same problem with the same site, and had to put this its development down for a while. I'm back and there is still no clear method or tutorial on how to get video responsive. I was able to figure it out very quickly with the other Framework that emadtadrosmd.com is built on. I just don't understand why I have to go through so many support posts to find no clear answer. It is very frustrating at this point. You are selling and advertising a software product as having Responsive capabilities, selling it as drag and drop, but why does it become sooo difficult to get video responsive? [b]I want to put the video in a Feature and be able to use the power of Features to add video to pages.[/b] Can you come up with a plugin or endorse an existing plugin AND have crystal clear tutorial-for-dummies on how to install video to make video responsive? Is that so hard? I am not a heavy developer/coder to be able to figure this out on my own.

freshlightstudios
Let's get basic here. If I put a video in a Feature and apply the feature to a page, can it ever become responsive? If so, how? If not, why?

Rob
[quote]"You are selling and advertising a software product as having Responsive capabilities, selling it as drag and drop, but why does it become sooo difficult to get video responsive? "[/quote] First and foremost, you must understand that YouTube and Vimeo videos are inherently not responsive. They just don't work responsively for anyone which is why 3rd party plugins are used. None of those plugins are designed however, to work within the slider. We do not provide a 3rd party plugin for this however, if you'd like to request one, please feel free to submit a request at http://www.pagelines.com/tracking. Alternatively, you may wish to hire one of our Pros (http://www.pagelines.com/pros) to create the plugin or a solution you're seeking or, hire any developer skilled with PageLines to do the job. [quote]"I want to put the video in a Feature and be able to use the power of Features to add video to pages."[/quote] I'm sure you do want that, but there's never been any suggestion of videos embedded in Features being responsive. I would seriously doubt that it's going to be developed easily. [quote]"Can you come up with a plugin or endorse an existing plugin AND have crystal clear tutorial for dummies on how to install video to make it responsive? Is that so hard?"[/quote] We probably could, provided there was sufficient demand for it (yours is the only request so far) and we have a developer available amongst the dozens of other priority requests. On your last point, actually, yes, it is quite difficult to do this. Again, because the video source isn't responsive, the ability to make the videos responsive is extremely difficult. Add the fact that you wish to have it in the feature slider. Being that the slider uses jQuery, it adds a whole new layer of complexity to the request. The simplest solution, till something more satisfactory comes along is to use the older embed code, not the plugin you're accustomed to, and make the size small enough to fit most screens. I'm sorry, but till something better comes along, that's the best I can do. I've already suggested using an alternative slider that is more adept with video embeds - an idea that was rejected. Much as I'd truly like to accommodate this, coding a new plugin is not something I personally do, and not done quickly. I will happily work with the developer/author of Responsive Video Embeds to see what can be done. Have you addressed this issue directly with him to see what he says about use of his plugin within a jQuery slider?

freshlightstudios
Ok, now I'm following along more clearly. I was not getting that the slider in Features was jQuery and that it was so difficult and not a priority to make it responsive for video. I can now at least get the video in the Pagelines site to work responsively by embedding it in the page rather than a Feature applied to a page. It works but the Loop header is there, I wish it wasn't. I just want the video to be there without the loop header above it. If I hide postloop then the video disappears.

Rob
Couldn't you use a sidebar above the loop via Dashboard > PageLines > Templates > Content Area? Perhaps Universal Sidebar, then, apply a text widget to that sidebar and embed the video? If you use different videos for different pages, Widget Logic will allow you to designate locations. That way, the video is actually outside the loop.

freshlightstudios
Hmmm, that's all new to me. I'll have to try and figure that out and see if it works well. Thanks.

freshlightstudios
I submitted a request at tracking, put a comment under Enhancement #42. http://pagelines.com/tracking/pagelinesframework/issues/42 I guess I got carried away with how cool the Features feature is, especially after seeing how you can add one Feature on top of another. I saw it all as a good way to organize and manage video to various pages. You can get that if you're not creating a responsive site, but it sure would be nice to have it responsive!

beardedavenger
Just added the capability for responsive videos and will be in our next release. Nick

Something big is coming for DMS + photographers.

http://fotostheme.com

Nick Haskins & CO - New home for all of my PageLines Store products! 

http://nickhaskins.co

Better DMS - News, Tutorials, and Tips

http://betterdms.com