Sign in to follow this  
jeremysmiley

Domain Change

jeremysmiley

My host is hostgator.com I changed the domain for my wordpress site from thefresnophotobooth.com to smileyphotobooths.com. But when we try to change the root file there are errors. This is the email from hostgator... -------------------- Hello again, It appears that your current theme, PageLines, has hard-coded the path to your WordPress installation. We recommend that you contact the theme developer for information on how to change the path of your installation. Please, let us know if you require further assistance. Sincerely, Jose P. Linux Systems Administrator HostGator.com LLC http://support.hostgator.com ------------------------- Any help on how to "change the path of your installation"? Thnaks!

catrina
This sounds more like a WordPress issue than a PageLines issue. There is documentation on changing the site URL here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_The_Site_URL#Changing_the_Site_URL. Domain changing and how WordPress is affected is also described in the first two paragraphs here: http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-move-wordpress-blog-to-new-domain-or-location/

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

jeremysmiley
Holly cow this is beyond me. do you know of anyone who I could hire to handle this for me?

Rob
Jeremy, I try never to say anything bad about a hosting company, but in this case, I'll say this: Change hosts. Seriously. Shared hosting always makes a mess of things. If you're trying to change domains, the process is simple. Back up your entire site via Dashboard > Tools > Export (save the file to your desktop. Go to Dashboard > PageLines > Account > Import/Export and export the PageLines settings. For save measure, back up your entire database and FTP your site to a folder on your computer. Go to the new site. FTP in. Install WordPress. Create a .htaccess file if one isn't created for you. CHMOD that file if necessary to 777. Install PageLines as your theme. Go to Dashboard > Tools > Import and import the file you exported to the desktop earlier. Once imported, go to Dashboard > Settings > Permalinks and select the same permalink setup you had originally. Save. All the links in your WP data should be updated to your new domain and URLs. Now, go to Dashboard > PageLines > Account > Import/Export and import the PageLines file you exported earlier. Go back to Permalinks and update the settings again. Images may be missing. If they are, upload your images via FTP. One of the issues with your particular host that I've experienced is they're very restrictive about things like root access and FTP. Page.ly does nothing but WP hosting... just an FYI.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur