Sign in to follow this  
digsea

IE8 not recognising my custom css

digsea

My site looks exactly how I want it to look on Firefox & Chrome and about 80% of it looks right on IE9. However, I've just tested it on a laptop which still has IE8 installed and it's as though NONE of the custom CSS I've added is recognised by it. The site looks a mess on IE8, which I can imagine is still used by a sizable number of my market. Does anybody have any suggestions, recommended plugins or tips for how to fix this issue using Pagelines custom css? Cheers Neil

Rob
Neil, IE8 was created prior to the creation of HTML5 and CSS3, both critical parts of the PageLines Framework. Therefore, IE8 will not work with any components of either in a compatible format. Microsoft has built new editions of IE to accommodate these changes (IE9, and soon IE11). I wrote a post on this subject some time ago: http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/17308/older-browsers-support As the number of people using IE8 is rather small, it may not be worthwhile attempting to fix it. As time goes by, those using IE8 will likely be compelled to upgrade. I'm going to show my age here, but when I first started, we used to put a little button on our sites saying "Best Viewed in Netscape Navigator Gold 3". You may want to do something similar for IE users.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

digsea
Great advice, many thanks. I think I'll stop worrying about it and let nature take its course! Thanks again, Neil