Sign in to follow this  
dhrose

PageLines questions?

dhrose

I'm new to PageLines, but I have done some customizing with the Thematic Wordpress theme and I know enough html and css to create a basic site. Since purchasing the Pro upgrade I have been trying to learn the api and create (yet another) test site. have a few questions about the basic api: Centering the site logo in branding div... is that a custom css situation? Putting a border around the content area and footer... does this require the fixed layout and or is this achieved through css only? It seems with all the talk about the drag and drop interface a lot of customization still needs to be done with custom css... I've been working with Squarespace sites for awhile and it seems there is a lot of flexibility for customizing areas of content in the Squarespace api. Not much in PageLines? Except with custom css... I'm still reviewing the vids and documentation but maybe I expected more "styling" from the api then just dragging modules into the page... I'l admit I do not know enough about wordpress to completely create a custom theme, but would like to find a platform that I could "design" then "construct" quicker. Thanks!

Jenny
First, welcome to PageLines! :) 1. Centering the logo will be custom CSS unless your header image is equivalent to the width of your site. 2. Border should be layout independent, and added through CSS. 3. Drag and drop refers to putting sections where you want them, not the colors and such. I have personally asked for more color and design options but the CEO has determined that he wants simplicity by giving you the tools to create an amazing layout and then you can design it how you wish. There are also several Store items available that make customization easier. Hope that helps!

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

dhrose
I realize some of the styling requires more than a passing knowledge of css... I've done some styling of wordpress themes. What I'd like to be able to get (from support) is some help to find out which areas of the style sheet I need to focus on to make changes. Is this something I can get from this forum or would I have to hire a "pro" PageLines developer? Since there are literally hundreds of css styles in the average wordpress site, I'd like to just get some tips or pointed in the right direction from PL. That doesn't seem like too much to ask from from basic support. Like I said, I have done some html/css sites and a couple Squarespace sites. Just trying to gauge what I can expect from support here?

Rob
While we often help with CSS issues, we principally recommend use of either Google Chrome's Inspection Tools or Firebug (http://www.getfirebug.com) for Firefox (depending on your preferred browser). Either of these tools allow you to point and click to select the element you want to change visually, then identify the corresponding CSS element(s). We're always here to help if you find something difficult. We only recommend a Pro when an extreme customization is requested where the risk of doing it wrong could damage your site or create other conflicts. Additionally, we have an ever evolving Wiki (documentation) that provides a wide range of resources, including tutorial videos. http://www.pagelines.com/wiki Perhaps to answer your question of what to expect, the numbers speak for themselves. As of this reply, we've had 19,632 topics opened in the forums. Currently, we have a staff of six professional moderators plus developers and management who reply in the forum. I hope this resolves any concerns you may have.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur