Sign in to follow this  
Sourena

Child themes for Pagelines

Sourena

I tried to create a child theme for EcoPro but it did not work. I could not change the theme's appearance without touching the theme's CSS. How can one create a child theme for Pagelines themes? Is anything in the theme that prevents that? Or did I do something incorrectly?

alefba.us

Web Development & Design for Right-to-Left languages

kellylazarus

Sourena, I am not affiliated with Pagelines, but I can confirm the iBlogPro theme is not compatible with child themes. If you want to fix that yourself, the issue revolves around this line in header.php:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="<?php echo THEME_ROOT.'/style.css':?>" type="text/css" media="screen" />
That calls the parent theme's stylesheet directly. Instead, the line should be something more like:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="<?php bloginfo('stylesheet_url'); ?>" type="text/css" media="all" />

I can confirm this change works in iBlogPro 4 as I've already made that change. YMMV. Edit: I just discovered I couldn't override some CSS... You'll note there are four more stylesheet declarations in the theme after that line so you'd have to move that down if EcoPro is the same way. However, doing so would reload the main style.css _after_ the pro.css and you'll lose some important styles. I just punted and created an $theme/ext/mycompany/style.css, then put the link in the "Header Scripts" option under Custom Code.

Andrew

will address this.. .thanks for the comprehensive description.

Sourena

Thanks Kelly. I guess we should wait for Andrew Powers' comment on this. I have purchased the developer package. I hope this theme allows me to create customized child themes for my clients without touching the actual theme.

alefba.us

Andrew

This is an easy fix, will be in the next maintenance update.

Sourena

That would be great. Thanks.

alefba.us

ttrusty

Andrew??”I'm new to Pagelines and not familiar with maintenance updates. Will the same fix be available for the WhiteHousePro theme as well?

esilvaexonetcl

when is the next maintenance update?