Sign in to follow this  
coachkriswatkins

A Couple of questions

coachkriswatkins

I am in the process of designing a new site. I have a few questions. I wasnt to design a custom background image for the site. What do the dimensions need to be? Also. Is there anyway to make where the tabs in the menu bar are dead links. For example when you scroll over the tab it brings down drop down tabs but you can not click on the actual initial tab itself?

coachkriswatkins
Also, what format do I need to use to design my site so that when upgrades of pagelines come out it does not mess up my site. If I am using firebug to do some custom code stuff will that mess up with a pagelines update?

Jenny
The dimension should be whatever you want them to be. It's your site and you can make it as wide or as small as you want. Just keep in mind that people can resize the browser window, so it is usually best to use a tiled background. For dead links in the menu, use a # for the URL. I don't know what you mean by the format? PageLines updates should not mess up anything on your site. At times, CSS selectors may change but that is usually only for major version changes.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

coachkriswatkins
Here is an example of what I am talking about https://twitter.com/#!/CoachJimBoone Although I know this is a twitter page. But I am building a site for a coaching buddy of mine and he wants his background to be similar to this. Is this possible?

Rob
Yes, it's possible. The background is designed to fit the canvas area when stretched. It is supersized to fit the entire browser window, no matter the size of the visitor's screen. The content floats in Twitter and we do offer that. It's in the settings. It might help considerably to spend time reading the documents at http://www.pagelines.com/wiki.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

coachkriswatkins
Thank you for the help, I think I am on the right track, and if the image is stretched what should the initial size of the background image be. I know that whatever content is to be placed where the content is will not be seen because it will be covered by the content. How long should the image be in pixels?

Danny
Hi, If you read this article, it shows you a chart of screen sizes used by people browsing the web, use this as a template for your background image dimensions. http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp

Please search our forums, before posting!

coachkriswatkins
Trying to make the dead link, when I put in a number for the link and it continually goes to the page, I want it to be a dead link to when you scroll over it the subpages drop down underneath it

catrina
You can create a dead link in a custom menu under Appearance > Menus. Just put the "#" sign (without quotation marks) where you'd put the URL.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse