Sign in to follow this  
wandr_mari

Is it absolutely necessary to manually install WP in order to use BuddyPress?

wandr_mari

I just read the instructions for getting Buddypress up and running. I'll be using the following: WP (of course), Buddypress, Pagelines Framework, Base Theme, BP Template Pack plugin and the Buddypress for Pagelines plugin. Is it absolutely necessary to install Wordpress manually when using Buddypress? Or, can I use a one-click installer to get started? I'll be hosting on FatCow, and the one click installer provided is SimpleScripts. Thanks for your help. mari

Have an okay day.

maripfeiffer.com

catrina
I don't think it'll make a difference whether you install WP using SimpleScripts or manually because either way you'll have the WordPress install in your site directory. Which instructions are you referring to? (There is nothing in the PageLines BuddyPress instructions [url="http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/How_to_Use_the_BuddyPress_for_PageLines_Plugin"]here[/url] about requiring a manual WP install)

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

wandr_mari
Hi Catrina, Sorry, I should have mentioned this from buddypress.org: http://codex.buddypress.org/getting-started/before-installing/ About halfway down the page, under "System and Server Requirements" it mentions manual install. I just wanted to make sure before I get started. What do you think? ~ mari

Have an okay day.

maripfeiffer.com

Simon
Depends on your host: (rare) some hosts when you click install, it downloads the latest package unzips it in your DIR and directs you to the installer. (more likely) An old version is copied and you are redirected to the installer. (possible) A copy of recent version is mirrored using symbolic links, this is where problems arise. Anyway, BP are just covering themselves by saying do it yourself, then IF it goes wrong they can help you out, if you use a 3rd party script they will say 'Contact your host' if anything goes wrong.