Sign in to follow this  
kakadong

How to Control the archieve pages of custom post type ?

kakadong

I install a plugin called "Easy Custom Content Types for WordPress" at codecanyon.net. then I create two custom post type by the plugin. It has a function which is make a Archieve-{post-type}.php automatically. It Grab the code from index.php. So, if I enter the http://www.mysite.com/{post-type} , WordPress will load the Archieve-{post-type}.php instead of index.php. you can see here to know what i say. it will show the "posts" of that custom post type . and I can see the template type . Template: News Archieve . ( The word "News" is my custom post type ) . But when I go pagelines/template I can't see that template. the News Archieve works like the Blog Page. But without the control of that template , I can't add a post/page pagenation. that's a pain in the neck. if I have 200 "posts" in that custom post type , I cannot see all of them.(by setting 10 posts a page in reading. ) but only see the latest 10 posts. Because the core of pagelines Framwork is not the same with normal theme. I don't know how to add a template of that kind of stuff. So, my Question is HOW to Add a Template which works like Blog Page and compatible with my custom post type . And I Have A File Called Archieve-news.php with the same code of index.php in it. I can give the access to my backend. It's a Live website.

catrina
Since controls for a post type layout aren't automatically added to the PageLines template settings, the post type layout may require customization. Can you please post a link to the archive page that uses the custom post type? Also, for the page that you want behaving like a blog page, are you going to be using it as a "main blog" page or a blog page separate from the default blog page?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

kakadong
of course. I can give you the url. [url="http://www.soho-kakadong.com/webtv/news/"]http://www.soho-kakadong.com/webtv/news/ [/url] this shows the archieve-news.php. Because I add one line code : [code]pagelines_pagination();[/code] at the end of that php file. So,when you see the Page, you can see the pagination at bottom left. And [url="http://www.soho-kakadong.com/webtv/stupid/"]http://www.soho-kakadong.com/webtv/stupid/[/url] shows the archieve-stupid.php without any modification. I want to use both of them a blog page (in this case, I have 3 blog like page , one for ordinary posts one for news and one for stupid.) separate from the default blog page . So, I can add unlimited custom post type after I know exactly how to add a page like this.

Danny
Hi kakadong, I have used the Easy Custom Post Types plug-in in the past and I recommend you contact the developer. Pippin is a cool dude and I'm sure he will be able to advise you on this issue. When he replies, post here to inform us on his suggestion.

Please search our forums, before posting!

kakadong
I think it should be the question about the theme. and I ask the plugin creator ?

kakadong
I found a Quick and dirty way to solve the problem . Only to show some "section " at some specific place. it's not a good way. So, I would like to know how to add a template like what i said at first. I still want Pippin or some developer of pagelines to show me how to make a template. Like what Simon do in Jigoshop.(Add template control in Meta ,Since the Shop PAGE in jigoshop is also a archieve page. ) I use the code below to show pagenation at the end of the posts. like what I said , it's the quick and dirty way. in function.php [code]add_action('pagelines_after_postloop','addpaged'); function addpaged(){ if ( is_post_type_archive() ){ pagelines_pagination();} } [/code] I think the [code]pagelines_pagination();[/code] can change to any "section" and can easily change the place by changing the pagelines_after_postloop . But this is not the best way to go. Hoping someone can show us how to use the drag and drop in all kinds of CPT template.

Rob
By any chance, did you see this? http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/How_to_Create_a_Custom_Page_Template

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

kakadong
of course! but the template is going to be the single.php page. it's just like a single post page. so even I add the post/page pagenation in content area under postloop It still not show anything because that's a single post page. So , it's meaningless if I don'y have the control of archieve-{post-type}.php . that's why I want the developer of pagelines can help all of us to solve that! the normal way to see custom post type "posts" and edit the appearence of that page is to create that specific archieve.php for your custom post type . but in Pageline framework . It only one line code. setup_pagelines_template(); How do I enter that function if I don't have the ability to drag and drop in the template control . But to create the custom post type archieve page is not mentioned anywhere in pagelines website. it's a "dynamic"page , like blog . Not a "static " page which we can easily add a page.XXX.php .

catrina
Drag and drop template control for a custom post type isn't available in the PageLines settings (only drag and drop settings are available for certain page templates and sections). If you need to hire someone to customize your site so that your custom post type has pagination, please see here: http://www.pagelines.com/pros

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

kakadong
Pippin has answered me. Pippin: I??™ve just read through the comments on your Pagelines support thread, and you are right, the issue is with Pagelines. There isn??™t actually anything that can be done in ECPT to fix the issue. Pagelines has some very specific ways that you have to use in order to create the paginated template, but I??™m, unfortunately not sure exactly what they are. The last comment you posted on the Pagelines forum seems to be correct. Does that work? if only pagenation , I can use the way I find . can pros add a template in meta for any of my CPT ?

Danny
Hi kakadong, I'll bring this to the developers attention for you. I have bookmarked this topic.

kakadong
Finally, I don't know what I have done. But, I got the template set for archieve page and single page. Now I got Everything set up for using custom post type. I also add option in meta called news archieve . that's all. I am frustrate about your help. I have asked many questions . but if the problem is something harder. I won't get any help here. to get a template in pagelines should be very common task. and since the developer change the behavior of what WP does normally, we need a some help to get there. Not "Drag and drop template control for a custom post type isn't available in the PageLines settings" . if Drag and drop template control for a custom post type is not in the PL setting , it should be the thing you should add first. Because it is the function WP original have . (I mean just a normal template and PL should give us the power to use the drag and drop ) I bought PL is to increase the power of WP , not to decrease the power of WP . what Simon does in Jigoshop give me the prototype of my code . If Simon didn't publish the plugin "pagelines for jigoshop intergration " , I will NEVER EVER get the template of what I need. That's only about 20 lines of code. For developer in PL , it's just a piece of cake . but I didn't get any response useful. PITY!

Danny
Hi, Please watch the screencast below, I have the plug-in working without any problem. http://screencast.com/t/PKkxwu7K

kakadong
Danny: Thank you verrrrrrry much! because of your recording , I found where the real problem is! the Simon's jigoshop for pagelines plugin turns off all the archieve.php if I deactivate it , Every thing works Beautifully. but I have to install jigoshop . Can you ask Simon to solve this? I turn off the code in pagelines-jigohop.php [code]add_filter( 'pl_cpt_dragdrop', array( &$this, 'jigo_templates' ), 1, 2 );[/code] So, I can get all pages I need , but also the jigoshop product page. Can you ask him to make a small tweak to solve this? Now , Everey thing work Beautifully. Thanks !