Sign in to follow this  
brightonkeller

Backgrounds Colors: CSS for content and sidebar area colors

brightonkeller

I have searched the forums and have tried to figure it out myself, but I just ended up messing things up. If you don't mind, could you answer these questions with numbers...since I have a few! :) Thanks!! Here is what I want to do. I will try and keep it simple. 1. Have the entire page background color be a neutral color (like what you guys have here in the support forum). 2. For the "Page-Canvas" (the content/sidebars) I want the main background to match the "ID: Page Class:thepage" neutral color. 3. I want the "column-wrap" and the "sidebar-wrap" to have a background color of white. So it looks like white boxes separated from the background of the page, but also the background of the "page-canvas" (the inner column of the website page). Does that make sense? - but I want the padding/space between the content wrap and sidebars to be the same color as the background (the neutral color). As well as the space between the header and the "dynamic content"/pagelines content. 4. On another note, I'm curious why the pagelines set up has a "copy" for everything. Like copy padding, copy content wrap etc. I'm just curious and am trying to understand if I should be editing the "copy" or the original. Does that make sense? I'm using the one column on right sidebar. I use Chrome Inspect element to determine the proper div and class. I'm not very familiar with coding, but have tried to do a little CSS. For some reason, when I try and change certain things, it doesn't look the way I want. For instance, I tried making the content padding the neutral color and then the content-wrap white, but it did not work. (same for sidebar). (If my explanation is not clear....basically, What I am looking to achieve is something similar to the layout/formatting of the blog title design love fest.) 5. (on a side-note: I would love to have a one-on-one with someone if that would be necessary? Could I work with one of you over the phone or some other way? Are any of you hirable?)

Rob
Some answers: 1. Which Site design mode are you using? Dashboard > PageLines > Settings > Color Control is where you find this. 2. What settings do you have Body Background, Page Background and Content Background? 3. Sounds difficult. You'll end up with white on white if the page background and content background are also white. Let's focus on fixing the issues in No. 2 first, then we'll see if we can adjust the issues in No. 3. 4. Copy enables you to have multiple sections of the same thing on one page. For example, if you needed to have two of any of the sections on the same page, you can copy and it clones it. You shouldn't be editing the copy. 5. We don't provide telephone support or one-on-one, but we do provide access to our Pros via http://www.pagelines.com/pros. They're professional site designers and developers available to help with your technical issues on a fee-basis.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

brightonkeller
Thank you for getting back to me! I really appreciate the help. 1. ok so I've played with both site design modes, but right now it is set on content width 2. I've been changing these a lot. What should it be set to? I realize that since I am using the content width page, that the body will define the color of the outerspace (area outside main content of website). 3. Would you visit the design love fest blog to see what I am talking about. I think it would give you a better idea. Let me know what you think. 4. As of right now, I just have my site set on everything white. I don't want to play with it bc when I mess something up, I freak out. I'd rather just do everything at once and do it the RIGHT way instead of playing the trial-and-errror game for hours on end.

catrina
designlovefest is a good example. Try this CSS (it worked properly when I tested it on Firebug): [code]#content div.content-pad {background-color: #E8E8E8;} #column-wrap {background-color: #fff;} #sidebar-wrap {background-color: #fff; margin-left: 10px;}[/code]

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse