Sign in to follow this  
anthalis

URGENT! Child style not applying.

anthalis

Hi there, This is a serious problem that caused me too much frustration already, so please refrain from giving answers just for the sake of getting some good "karma". Whatever styling I put in the various places where styling is recommended, it does not work. I tried to use Pagelines Customize - not working, deactivated all plugins in bulk or one by one -not working, used the Custom Code - not working I have done this using both the child theme and only the Pagelines Framework. While the styling applies in Chrome, Firefox and IE are not taking ANY styling, with or without !important (pleaaase, don't tell me to add !important, cause IT's NOT WORKING.) While changes made in Firebug or Chrome dev tools work, once in the stylesheet they no longer appear in the front-end! Basically, every time I update the style sheet I live under the terror that on the next load my style will be gone (all of it or parts), and by gone I mean not showing in the frontend. When I contacted a pagelines pro on Skype he told me it might be the way I commented the style, so I used his recommendation for comments - didn't work. Now I removed all commenting, other than the initial block with the theme name and such, my problem is still not solved. I checked the source, the child theme style is the last to load, with only some dynamic CSS elements following, but nothing that should justify the lack of styling I am witnessing in FF and IE. Used the Browser specific CSS plugin - no deal. And sooo on. Can someone please tell me what is going on? After spending a lot of money on a dev license I find this framework more time consuming and frustrating than a free theme and all my work just keeps being screwed over by God knows what... Pardon if I sound harsh, but this is simply unacceptable. After all the fixes I tried nothing works and my deadline is getting close. Every time I think "Oh, now it's gonna be OK", some other styling doesn't apply, and I can empty the browser caches all I want. It just won't work. I even tried a non-PL plugin for custom styling (Woo Dojo). No good. Deactivating premium or customized sections was not a solution either. The website is http://middleclassblues.com/ See it in Chrome, then FF and you'll spot the differences, they're pretty obvious. Viewed the site on Chrome and FF on Ubuntu, Win 7, Win XP, the problem is still there. Using Pagelines Framework (Developer) v. 2.1.6.

Danny
Hi, First things first, Karma is not given out simply by users replying to posts, it's a system where users who receive an acceptable answer to their question, can give thanks to the user who provided the answer. This is only way anyone can receive Karma. I have reviewed your child themes style sheet and I noticed that you have you have no space where you have added !Important to your code. Would it be possible to go through your child themes style.css and add a space please so it looks like this: background-color:white !important; instead of background-color:white!important; This may not be the cause of the issue, but its best to add a space and see if this has had any effect to your code loading on FF/IE. Once you have completed this, check your website again in FF and if there is no change, reply here and we can investigate this issue further.

Please search our forums, before posting!

anthalis
Hi Danny, Thanks for the quick reply and sorry for the outburst on the karma thing. At the time I wrote all this I was really frustrated, seeing how the issue just doesn't seem to make sense... Some solution I tried should have worked. Anyway, in the meantime I took a walk and went into a more "zen" state of mind. I added the space before !important. But the changes don't reflect in FF or IE. One thing I find peculiar is the following. Let's say I empty the style sheet, with the exception of the introductory comments. Then I paste a little piece of CSS in for links. I save the stylesheet. Check the front-end. Good, it works. I paste the next piece, save, works. Paste in another segment of my styling and save, boom, it all goes away. Somewhere, something happens. The problem is that it doesn't crack on some specific styling that might have an error in it. It's so random and so strange that I can't pinpoint the cause. When I started styling this thing, I was making only minor changes, so I used the Custom Style section. I understand that is saved in the database. Could it be that I "confused" the database when I moved my styling from Custom code to the child stylesheet? But then again, only Thursday, thing were still fine, albeit I was still saying prayers while reloading the front-end after a CSS change... Also, I used WPML, but it was causing a bunch of problems with image uploads (that nasty Http error) so I deleted the thing and its tables from the database. The styling problems were still present then, but not as bad as now. WPML String Translation also broke the Pagelines Meta (wouldn't load fully with WPML Strings installed). It just feels like the style was "unstable" and slowly "rotting away", as less and less of it would take effect :( (it's the best way I can explain the feeling of working with it.) I also do not have any caching plugins at the moment, and I didn't use any. Could it be that I have to re-build the site? Fresh WP install with a new db, import the content, add the style and functions? This is the nightmare scenario, but still the lesser of two evils. I will try this out, just to make sure it's not a database issue, and get back to you sometimes on Monday if the problem was solved or not. If I still have problems at that point, at least we can safely assume it's not the database, and take it from there.

Danny
Hello, OK after reading your reply, I think the best course of action would be for you to create your website on a test environment be it live or locally (MAMP, XAMPP etc...) and import your content to the test site, add your custom CSS and see if you still have the issue.

Please search our forums, before posting!

anthalis
Hi Danny, I went ahead with a fresh install and database. I also made sure I had no inline css, typos and such and I am using the code editor in my host's cpanel to make any edits to the stylesheet (instead of making them in the browser or locally). So far everything is a breeze. I suspect that whatever WPML did to my database was really bad because now the website is behaving much better overall. Since my client really wants bilingual content and WPML caused such a mess, is there any translation plugin that works well with PL (free or premium, don't matter) and is not likely to cause any problems?