Sign in to follow this  
puntNL

Page and Post Titles set as H1

puntNL

I know this might not be the appropriate place to post this question.. but with all these WPro's on this forum...I'll give it a go : How can one set the page and post titles to be heading H1? (step by step..) (Using iBlogPro5 / pageline framework)

catrina
In order to make edits as you please on the theme, you'll need to install and activate the base theme. It's explained here why you need to use it and what's possible with it: http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/How_to_Use_the_Base_Theme. You will also need FTP access in order to make file edits in the base theme. P.S. I moved this topic to the PageLines Framework category.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

puntNL
Ok Catrina, but don't I use the iBlogPro5 theme as a childtheme under The Pagelines 2 framework? I do have FTP access.

Rob
I hate to disagree with my colleague and friend, but in this case, I think the way to achieve your goals is not to change these elements to H1, but to identify the H class they're in and customize it as you wish in Custom Code > CSS Rules. Let's say you have a series of elements that by default are H2 but you want the font size bigger. Just write a CSS snippet specific for the H2 tag, setting the font size for that tag. That's much easier than trying to re-write the child theme or replacing it with the Base Theme. I cannot see your site, or I'd offer more specifics about the CSS code needed.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

puntNL
Catrina advised me that [url="allready"]http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/comment/103633#Comment_103633[/url] But that is not the issue here.. I want the post titles on individual posts pages set to be a H1. On my homepage I want all the posts titles (excerpts) to be H2. Concerning the page titles: I suspect Pagelines to allready set these titles as H1, correct? I know that this seo question is probably not suitable for this forum to post..

Rob
Honestly, I don't know the CSS elements for the page titles but that sounds about right. You can always set things up so that you have the font for page titles any size you want on specific pages. So, in essence, on the home page, your CSS could have h1 at 24px, but on all other pages it might be 16px. That's just a matter of identifying the page.

puntNL
Just installed firebuggy and it seems to be the case that Pageline Framework already Assigned the H2 tag to all Posts titles presented on the site's homepage. When I look at a posts individual page, the post title is auto set to H1. Can anyone confirm this? Next, I discovered that the posts titles are actually set at 200% (of the corresponding Heading tag) Where can I uncheck this option Or set it back to a 125% H1?

Rob
If your site is live, please provide a link and we'll have a look. If you don't want your URL posted, try using one of the many URL screens. Honestly, without looking, I couldn't confirm anything. Not trying to be funny, but I'm not a coder, so I don't know what the code is till I see it. Setting the percentage should be done in CSS as well.

puntNL
url: podotherapiehuissen .nl One other issue also to look at: where is the h1 on my homepage?

Danny
Hi, The Post title on excerpts uses h2 tags, when you view the single post the title uses h1 tags. You have no h1 tag on your homepage, due to having the setting to hide page titles. Change this and the page title should be visible and be a h1 tag.

Please search our forums, before posting!

puntNL
@Danny: correct, I disabled them. When I use: [i]Automatically show Page titles? This option will automatically place page titles on all pages.[/i] it makes no difference for my homepage.. (checked also with http://www.seositecheckup.com/h1_h2_heading_status.php) The theme doesn't add a H1 to homepage title. (However it does show the browser titles) @Rangelone: Next to my previous question about how to adjust the percentage of the H2 of post titles on homepage, I want to add the following: when I let the theme auto show Page H1 titles, these are also larger then the numbers (pix) I set for H1, H2 etc in Custom CSS. Is there some CCS fix for this as well? (so both post and page titles in H1 and H2)

catrina
[code]these are also larger then the numbers (pix) I set for H1, H2 etc in Custom CSS[/code] * I'm sorry, what CSS fix are you looking for for this? Using percentage to increase the size of H1 and H2?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

puntNL
I already set the font size of headings in CSS custom code window: h1 {font-size: #px;} h2 {font-size: #px;} h3 {font-size: #px;} And any given heading value (#) works fine within a page or within a post. However, the size of the post or page title h1/ h2 is not effected by this css tweak. They are still very large. So I was wondering if I could solve this by some CSS custom coding.

catrina
The h1 and h2 needs to be more specific, methinks. Try this for the h1 page titles: [code]h1.pagetitle {font-size: #px;}[/code]

Designer | Catrina Dulay

puntNL
tried this: h1.posttitle {font-size: 12px;} h1.post-title {font-size: 12px;} no effect :-(

puntNL
Also tried that, it doesn't work. Post titles use h1 on single posts and h2 for the excerpts (homeblogpage)

Rob
I've just come back to this and started to look at your CSS and found [b]text-rendering: optimizelegibility;[/b] in one of the elements. I'm presuming you added that for some SEO-related purpose. You should read this: http://aestheticallyloyal.com/public/optimize-legibility/ as that CSS may cause conflicts. I validated your site at the seositecheckup.com service you cited earlier. This is what it said: [quote]"Your page does not contain any H1 headings. H1 headings help indicate the important topics of your page to search engines. While less important than good meta-titles and descriptions, H1 headings may still help define the topic of your page to search engines. "[/quote] If the purpose of changing the fonts is for SEO purposes, I believe this to be a bit of an exercise in search of a problem. Irrespective of what SEO promotion sites tell you, the secrets of successful SEO are built right into WordPress and PageLines. I can honestly say that to be absolutely true, as my site, rebuilt on a WP backbone with PageLines in the past year has jumped to 110,000 unique visitors daily. In fact, I had to move to a dedicated server to handle all the traffic. The keys to successful search engine placement are: fresh, original content daily; use of the excerpt field to place a brief one or two sentence description or "teaser" for your post and writing as many keywords into your post that you can possibly conceive, with every option imaginable. Try not to exceed 100 keywords per post. Those three things, done in concert will result in high placement and easy results if people look for your post subjects. Rest assured, font sizes have very, very little to do with how search engines place results. Nonetheless, I'll continue looking this over and report any findings.

puntNL
Thanks a lot Rangelone, very clear answer. And maybe I should not focus to much on the heading thing. However it would be nice if my homepage had a h1. I think my homepage doesn't have an h1 heading because it is not a 'real' page right? (you can;t find the homepage between the other pages within the wp dashboard). one more thing: [quote]"I'm presuming you added that for some SEO-related purpose." [/quote]Actually not. I don't put in any SEO tools/ coding or plugins. Just clean Pagelines framework + iBlogPro5.

Rob
This might help you. http://codex.wordpress.org/Conditional_Tags Yes, a default homepage is dynamically generated, though you can always create a static homepage, though it will not automatically pick up the loop. For example, each section of my site has separate WP installs. The main hompage http://www.epicurus.com is a static homepage, while other areas are generally dynamic, such as http://www.epicurus.com/blog In a static page, you could definitely add text in h1 tags. However, going into the core code to change font sizes for the homepage to h1 brings us back to a difficult process of altering core files. Consider whether you prefer having a static page (without the loop) along with a corresponding blog page (with the loop, of course), or, if you need to have only a dynamic home page. I see you're adding only two posts to the homepage anyway. While it would alter the look, Special Recent Posts would enable you to add content and set the font size as you please. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/special-recent-posts/ I'm very happy to hear you're using WordPress and iBlogPro5 with PageLines Framework for your SEO. It's the best combination!