Sign in to follow this  
bwinney@earthnc.com

Creating Press, Jobs pages from blog posts... is there an easy way within Pagelines Framework?

bwinney@earthnc.com

I think this question has been posed in different forms, but I can't divine a cohesive answer so I apologize if this is redundant. Here it goes: I would like to create "Press" and "Jobs" pages that are essentially, blog posts. I can't seem to create a page nor template to create that page that allows me to select blog posts of a particular category. Surely I'm missing something fundamental here? Thank you in advance. BSW

WebWerx
@bwinney@earthnc.com: So you want to assign a Category to the Posts (that are really Pages)?

bwinney@earthnc.com
I write posts, and I want those posts to populate pages; 1) A "Blog" page that includes all "Blog" posts, 2) A "Press" page that only includes posts from the "Press" category and 3) a "Jobs" page that only includes posts from the "Jobs" category. I have #1 in place, how, I have no earthly clue. But #'s 2 and 3 sure seem like they should be easy to do, but I'm not seeing how to within the Pagelines Framwork.

Rob
Okay, I can understand your frustration. It gets a bit complex when trying to add category pages that are static. Normally, category pages use their own template and are dynamically generated. This is why you can't set one up as a static page. There are work arounds. The easiest is to use a plugin called Special Recent Posts http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/special-recent-posts/ which uses a shortcode you create to include things like thumbnails, and to select the category that will appear. You create a static page (Dashboard > Pages > Add New) and add an image, or anything you want there, select the template of your choice from the page templates (now they'll work). With the shortcode, you'll get nice category pages. At the bottom, I'd suggest linking to the dynamic page because you'll have only a limited number of posts. Now as for Jobs, I'd suggest http://www.pento.net/projects/wordpress-job-manager-plugin/ That's a great jobs plugin.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

bwinney@earthnc.com
I appreciate your help Rangelone. I think this is why Wordpress and its associated templates are still beyond the grasp of most laymen... and why this market will remain a limited one. Specifically, and no offense Rangelone, but even the vernacular is obtuse. "Static"? "Short code"? Does a web-site owner really have to understand all that to create a page within the web-site that simply filters a particular post category as its page content? But I appreciate your attempt to help, and I'll see how far I get with category / static /shortcode land. Nightmarish. Whoever figures out how to really abstract this so that business users can do this...in english...is going to make a mint.

Rob
You'll have to forgive me. Two masters and a doctorate don't help. Let me at least clarify some definitions for you. Static - a page that is stable, and doesn't contain "dynamic" content. An example might be an "About Us" page, where the content of the page stays the same. Dynamic Content - content that changes with the activity of the site. For example, a blog page, where the new posts are listed each time you add one. That's dynamic content. ShortCode - a shortened version of a longer piece of programming code. For example, a PHP script might be many lines long and very complex, but the shortcode might look like [phpcode]. It enables the placement of complex scripts very easily by just adding the shortcode to a post or page. BTW, I'm sorry. I wrote a 20,000 item glossary for my food and beverage site, so I'm used to writing definitions. Just wanted to mention in closing that when I first used a PageLines product, I had no clue what I was doing. Three months later, I was working here helping resolve problems for others. It's a fast learning system.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur