Sign in to follow this  
tracsd1

Why are banners, boxes, etc posting duplicate?

tracsd1

What would cause my boxes, banners, and features to post duplicate information? For instance if you go to "our team" you will see that there is a duplicate of me, and not my business partner. I have created two banners under the "about" Section of the website. I put 2 as the number of banners to show and selected the about banner. This is also happening on my products page. However, I have selected and created 3 different boxes only 1 box shows and it shows as a duplicate. I was trying to use the carousel instead of the boxes on the products page, but couldn't get the links to be clickable. What am I doing wrong here? Thank you in advance. Tammy

WebWerx
Hi @tracsd: So you posted Content for the "Our Team" page using Boxes? http://cl.ly/2g182K2d19393809431A. I suggest you keep that as part of the page content instead. It would line up properly withe content above. BTW: Your link above is incorrect.

tracsd1
I used banners for the Our Team, not boxes. But even my boxes are not working on the Products page. Why are they duplicating only one box/banner and not showing the others I have created? Sorry. www.stratussocialmedia.com

WebWerx
@tracsd: Not sure why this is happening. I'd be glad to have a look-see if you like.

WebWerx
I am pretty sure it is your settings in PageLines that are askew.

Rob
Tammy, I suspect you have the Banners added twice in the template somewhere. Sometimes people are confused and add the banners section to templates twice. First, check your page and see which template you've used. Check there. Then look in the content area. I think it's in both the template as well as the Content Area.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

WebWerx
Tammy: I agree with @rangelone. That's what I would have checked if I was looking in the backend of your site.

tracsd1
I have checked the Template twice and it is only on the Page area of the template. I checked this before I wrote you guys. I can't seem to figure out what the problem is. As a matter of fact, both of these pages have their own template. What else can I try?

WebWerx
@tracsd: Just for fun, try switching 1 page to an unused template.....

Rob
Tammy, on Wednesday, can we schedule a screen sharing session to look over your templates? I still think it's someplace you didn't see. Admittedly, it can get a little confusing, even for me at times. I'm on the East Coast (EST). Let me know a good time Wednesday after 2PM when we could schedule this.

tracsd1
@webwerx - I changed the products page to a template not being used and it didn't work. Thank you for your efforts :) @rangelone - I am CST, so anytime after lunch is fine with me... so, 2:30 PM EST?

tracsd1
Remove for security reasons.

Danny
Hi, I removed the information you added above, for security reasons.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Rob
Tammy, I need you to do some homework. I changed the number of banners from 2 to 1 in the page meta settings and the other banner showed but only one. All the rest of your setup is perfect. However, I think you have too many plugins going on at one time and some may be deprecated or conflicting with others. I'd urge you to deactivate all plugins and see if that works to resolve the banner issue. It might help also with the dashboard. I see you're on host gator. Some clients sites use lots of memory that shared hosting doesn't provide. You may need to change hosts to a VPS account with a good deal of memory (I'd recommend at least 1.3gb, personally) or a dedicated machine if your site really grows in traffic. Go to http://www.wordpress.org/extend/plugins and check each plugin to see if it's compatible with WordPress 3.3.2 and not cited as broken by other users. I don't recommend cache as it can cause a range of problems. Not sure if that's the reason why we experienced the problems in screen share but it's best, I think, to deactivate and uninstall anything that's a proven problem or outdated. Let me know how that goes, and if it impacts the banners.

tracsd1
Okay, so I did my homework. :) I have gone from 30 plugins to 18, and all of these plugins are compatible. Unfortunately, there is no change to neither of the pages I am trying to get not to duplicate. Now what? Lastly, I am checking with Hostgator to see which plan we are on. We just upgraded about 2 months ago to the larger plan. Thank you for the information.

tracsd1
Okay, we are on the business plan, so I will talk to my business partner about VPS. Any other suggestions on how to get the banners and boxes to work properly on the site? :)

WebWerx
@tracsd: Skip the VPS and look at WPENGINE (I don't work for them). I dumped HG 4 years ago.... Get on a Host that specializes in Wordpress. Re the original issue: You could copy the code from the "Tammy Banner" and place it a new Banner then activate it. Sounds a bit extreme.... But that is what I would do. I looked at the page source code and the banner code is displaying twice. Very odd. $-)

Rob
It is very odd because the setup is absolutely correct.

Rob
I would never say any host is a problem, but we've had a number of clients who use Host Gator and discover the resources on almost all their plans is insufficient to meet the needs of WordPress. Multiple visitors on your site at any one second can use lots of resources, taking up all the memory available and that can cause all sorts of funky problems, no matter which hosting company it is. Make sure that whatever host you go to, you have more than 1.2Gb of total memory and at least 256Mb dedicated to PHP. Of course, that's just my personal opinion.

tracsd1
That doesn't make sense to me. I have used this theme on another URL and had no problems whatsoever, using the banner or the boxes. However, I talked to Hostgator to see if it is something on their end. We do have 256 mb dedicated to php with our plan as well as 12 gb of DDR2 and DDR3 - it is a shared server. They did tell me that people have problems with Wordpress, but typically it is a plugin issue. I just can't see why this URL has problems with boxes and banners, when the other URL did not. In the other website, I have about 9 boxes being used. Re: You could copy the code from the "Tammy Banner" and place it a new Banner then activate it. Sounds a bit extreme.... But that is what I would do. I looked at the page source code and the banner code is displaying twice. Very odd. - what exactly do you mean when you say do this? If I were to do this, wouldn't my changes be erased once the theme was updated? Are you saying I need to create a child theme? Thank you again for your time.

WebWerx
@tracsd: Oh no! Just duplicate the HTML that is in your "Tammy Banner" and create a new banner with it and then disable the original. It'll take a few minutes (max).

tracsd1
@catrina @webwex i have tried this and it still duplicates. i have been online with Hostgator for the last hour and they created one as well and it duplicates. she told me that there are no errors in the server logs, nor is it hitting memory limits on the server. Now what?

catrina
Have you already tried deactivating all active plugins (even if you've already deactivated a few others)?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse