Sign in to follow this  
tbadorrek

Adding custom widget inside Universal Sidebar

tbadorrek

Hi, I need some help figuring out where to add a bit of code. It's been a while since I've played around with my Pagelines site, so I'm forgetting how everything works... I've got a bit of code:

<?php require_once('includes/custom-sidebar-content.php') ?>
and I'm instructed to insert it into sidebar.php (with a typical WordPress theme). However, I'm using the universal sidebar as my sidebar on all my pages, so I need to add this code so that it fits into there. I've tried adding the following to my functions.php:
add_action('pagelines_inside_top_sidebar_universal', 'custom_sidebar_content');

function custom_sidebar_content() {
	require_once('../platformpro/includes/custom-sidebar-content.php');
	}
but that gives me an error: "failed to open stream." If I move custom-sidebar-content into the same directory as my platformbase functions.php, that does not create an error, but it also doesn't work. Any thoughts? Thank you. For reference, custom-sidebar-content.php:
<?php

/* PART 1: Get the page ID and store in $postID variable */

$postID = $post->ID;

/* PART 2: For that page, get the 'sidebar-post-id' custom field value */

$sidebarID = get_post_meta($postID, 'sidebar-entry-id', true);

/* PART 3: If a value is returned set up a WP query to retrieve content of Custom sidebar post */

if ($sidebarID) {

$sidebarEntryArgs = array (

'post_type' => 'sidebar-content',
	   	 'post__in' => array ( $sidebarID )

);

$sidebarQuery = new WP_Query($sidebarEntryArgs);

if ( $sidebarQuery->have_posts() ) :

while ( $sidebarQuery->have_posts() ) : $sidebarQuery->the_post();

$sidebarContent = get_the_content();  /* get the content of the post - what ever is in WYSIWYG editor box and store in variable for output below */

endwhile;

endif;

wp_reset_query();

}

/* Part 4: Output the sidebar code in a container with classes for CSS */

if ($sidebarContent) {

?>

<?php echo $sidebarContent; ?>
<?php } ?>[/code]

Rob
The error you're getting seems much more of a pathing error than anything else. The PHP snippet should be okay to go into a text widget in any sidebar but to function, the path must be correct.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

tbadorrek
Okay, my knowledge of PHP is limited to hacking WordPress plugins, so please help me understand this a little better. I've tried ensuring that the path to custom-sidebar-content.php is correct, including giving the absolute path, but that gives the same error. And if I move custom-sidebar-content.php from its location in "platformpro/includes" to "platformbase", it does not error, but the function doesn't display anything.

Rob
Apologies. What's the ultimate goal here? What is the custom-sidebar-content.php and where did it come from? Please let me know what this is supposed to do, so we can help you formulate a best-possible solution. You don't need to customize code to include something in a sidebar widget. I do it all the time. Usually, it's easy to include a PHP snippet by converting it to shortcode with Shortcode Exec PHP http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/shortcode-exec-php/

tbadorrek
I'm trying to implement this: http://pixelsandbikes.com/2011/10/01/creating-unique-sidebar-content-for-wordpress-pages-with-one-template-using-custom-post-types/ I tried just using Exec-PHP to begin with but to no avail. I keep getting the same PHP error. However, when I insert that code directly into sidebar.php (which doesn't work correctly because I'm using universal sidebar as my sidebar), everything shows up correctly.

catrina
Are you adding the code to a copy of the sidebar.php file in PlatformBase?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

tbadorrek
Can I do that? I put it in the sidebar.php in PlatformPro just to see if it would work (it did work), but it obviously doesn't work with the universal sidebar widget. All of my sidebar functionality comes from the universal sidebar, so I need to be able to use it with that...

Rob
You can but do so at your own risk. We do not support such customizations nor the after effect. The link provided (the article) is speaking about a theme. You're on a Platform - two distinctly different things. We have done all the work for you, even allowing the creation of custom post types in sidebars. All you need is the widget. That article is essentially trying to create something for a theme that lacks the resources of PlatformPro. Unfortunately, my best guess is that it's going to break PlatformPro and thus we cannot support it and strongly advise against it. I've been able to add custom post types, PHP includes, PHP scripts, JavaScripts, etc. to the sidebars in PlatformPro for well over a year without problems, by using text widgets, shortcodes, and so on. Regrettably, I don't see any way to implement this code without causing other difficulties. Please keep in mind that many plugins write things into Custom Post Types and as a result, when you try to add them, they'll show up in the wrong places. In this case, it's best to not try reinventing the wheel.