josh1178

How difficult is it to make a custom section?

josh1178

Is a section difficult to make? I can't seem to find instructions on it and I'd like to know if it is hard to do. I have a cool slider plugin that I'd like to be a section. Is this just a matter of copy/pasting and a tiny bit of fiddling, or is it more complex than that? Thanks

catrina
Are you using PageLines Framework and the base theme? Have you seen this documentation on customizing a section?: http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/How_to_Use_the_Base_Theme#Customize_Core_Sections_Using_the_Base_Theme. It involves copy and pasting and for sure some fiddling.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

josh1178
Yes, I am using the main base theme. Thank you, but that doc doesn't tell you how to make them from scratch. I will try to dig around in there and see if anything makes sense, but I'd rather not spend tons of time on it if there are instructions or if it is beyond my skill level. I'm not a PHP developer, but am ok with html and css. For example, I'd like to make this plugin a section: http://sliderpro.net/) Thanks! J

catrina
I was looking at the installation instructions provided on the site and it says it can be installed and implemented in settings like any other WordPress plugin. Does making it a custom section just add more flexibility to it? (I don't know what the installation package actually provides)

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

josh1178
Well, I guess I just thought it would be nice to be able to use templates and sections like the feature plugin that comes built in with Pagelines. I really just wanted to know how much is involved in making a custom section. If they're just plugins wrapped with a simple bit of code that anyone can make using existing plugins or if they are deeper than that. I guess I'll have to explore a bit and find out. :) Thanks for your time.

Danny
Hi Josh, If you wish to create your very own section, I recommend you visit the Developer centre and watch the essential training videos. http://developer.pagelines.com/resources/

Please search our forums, before posting!

gyoery
to give you a straight answer: It is easy, depending on your skill. For example take this modified Author section I wrote: [code]user_email; $curauthmeta = get_user_meta($base_authorid, $key, 'true'); $first_name = $curauthmeta['first_name']['0']; $last_name = $curauthmeta['last_name']['0']; setup_postdata($post); ?>

ba_get_user_points($base_authorid,true); echo $user_rank['title'] . " - " . $user_rank['points'];?>

post_author); ?>

CV
'.$curauthmeta['htmlbio']['0'].'

'; } ?> Skills
'.$curauthmeta['skills']['0'].'

'; } ?>

Contact me

'); if (!empty($curauthmeta['phone']['0'])) { echo (''); } if (!empty($curauthmeta['skype']['0'])) { echo (''); } if (!empty($curauthmeta['aim']['0'])) { echo (''); } if (!empty($curauthmeta['yim']['0'])) { echo (''); } if (!empty($curauthmeta['jabber']['0'])) { echo (''); } if (!empty($curauthmeta['google_profile']['0'])) { echo (''); } if (!empty($curauthmeta['linkedin']['0'])) { echo (''); } if (!empty($curauthmeta['twitter']['0'])) { echo (''); } if (!empty($curauthmeta['facebook']['0'])) { echo (''); } ?>

Rob
Amusing! [quote]"It won't work out of the box, as it requires the css and the icons and plugins installed that add extra fields to the user data, but other than that, it is quite easy."[/quote] On that basis, performing an appendectomy on one's self is easy as all you need is a sharp knife, string and scissors. Of course, the operation was a success but the patient died. Danny's suggestion about the developer center videos is your safest bet.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur