Sign in to follow this  
highreach

Blog and Archive

highreach

Hey All, I have become confused on the relationship between the blog page and the archive page. For my home page, I have it set up so that I have the latest postings on that page. I also would like to make an additional page that contains all of my posts. I found some promising answers, but they all have me changing my home page to a static page, which changes the layout and functionality of it. As always, any help is appreciated.

Rob
First, if you need help with issues in the forum, putting false URLs in the form doesn't help. If you wish to mask the URL from search engines, please use one of the many URL masking sites. Next, the setup you're describing is essentially a default homepage (default template). Archive pages are dynamically created and organized on the month and year. You will be able to view those by adding the Archives widget to your sidebar. When the next month rolls around, your previous posts are added to that archive but, they may still be on the front page if there isn't heavy volume of posts. That's actually a good thing as it prevents your front page from being without content if you didn't add large numbers of blog posts in the previous month. If you wish, you can make a default blog page by simply creating a new page, selecting a template but adding absolutely nothing to the page edit area and save. Then, via Dashboard > Settings > Reading, in select Static homepage from the options and in the second drop down, select the name of your new blank page. Save the settings. You can also add that new page to your menu, selecting from the list of pages.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

highreach
Hey rangelone, I had no intention to cause any problems. I was just doing what was recommended by a different pagelines moderator. I take it that the "put random symbols in your address" method is no longer okay. I have never used a URL masking site. Do you have any recommendations? Also, thanks for the advice. I tried out the new pages, but I have not had any luck. When I went to dashboard >settings> Reading and set a page as my home page, both my menu page called "home" and the page I set to contain all my posts were identical. When a user clicked on the "home" page, both pages were highlighted in the menu as if both pages were selected. Not sure what I did wrong, but I'll keep trying different combos to see if something works.

Danny
Hello, For a URL masking or shortener, you can try http://bit.ly Read through this article and watch the video and see if that helps. - http://en.support.wordpress.com/pages/front-page/ Also do not set both options to the same page, it is not recommended.

Please search our forums, before posting!