Sign in to follow this  
elaine

Navigation and footer not working

elaine

I've been having intermittent problems with the footer (5-column), twitter bar and navigation controls for a few days now. The footer disappears altogether , a fatal error is reported in the the twitter bar and the navigation stops showing drop down menus. I can't for the life of me figure this out. I am very much a novice at this and would greatly appreciate your help. Please note if you go to the site that the problem is intermittent but it happens often enough that a few clicks should make it evident if not at first. Thanks in advance.

elaine
And the buttons for the feature slider disappear too.

Danny
Hi, Have you made any changes to the core files at all and also can you disable all active plug-ins and see if that resolves the issue please.

Please search our forums, before posting!

elaine
I don't think I've added anything other than some plugins but I did have a very serious issue when I installed Buddy press. I've since removed it but I'm not sure if it left its mark. I've disabled all active plugins and checked before but I'll do it again..... tried it again and still have the same issues.

elaine
Fatal error: Cannot use string offset as an array in /home/drelaine/public_html/meditationmanapps.com/wp-content/themes/platformpro/sections/section.twitterbar.php on line 80 appears in the twitter bar.

elaine
This sometimes disappears. I read somewhere that there could be a caching problem so under the advice of hostgator I installed Super Cache.

elaine
Ive been at this for days. Thank you in advance for any help with this.

Jenny
Could you please disable ALL of your plugins and see if the issue persists? Have you edited ANY core files?

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

elaine
Haven't edited any files and have disabled plugins already and it changed nothing. I left the plugins disabled for quite a while. I'll do it again but it hasn't worked the past three times. I'm getting to my wits end. :(

elaine
I've disabled all plugins..... the issue still exists.

Rob
Elaine, First, BuddyPress no longer works in PlatformPro and hasn't for quite some time. We created an integration for it and PageLines Framework, but are unable to do so for PlatformPro. Since it installs code to the database, you may have to edit the database via phpMyAdmin to remove the BuddyPress tables. Additionally, I'm unsure which plugins you're using, but if any one of them became outdated (deprecated) for any reason, that can cause issues. I'd urge you, even with the plugins deactivated, to check each one at http://www.wordpress.org/extend/plugins looking to see if each is compatible with WP 3.3.1, is cited as broken or is causing others similar problems. If you find any deprecated plugins, replace them with something that's 100% compatible and is not cited as broken by other users. Never use plugins that aren't well maintained as they're often the work of hobbyist programmers who don't support them. As for the fatal error in the Twitterbar, that can only be caused by code changes in some core file. Do you have PlatformBase activated? If so, copy your CSS settings to a notepad file and reinstall PlatformPro (but not PlatformBase). Make sure PlatformBase is the activated theme. Let us know if these tips resolve the issues. If not, we'll try some additional measures.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

elaine
Unfortunately none of the above worked for me. I'm coming up to a deadline and my only recourse may be to use a different theme. Twenty ten and so on seem to have no problem. I can't figure it out at all, though being a complete novice at this doesn't help. Give me objective c anyway...lol. I've reinstalled the themes as you said and removed all references to buddy press in my cpanel. I've deactivated all plugins and nothing works. When it occurs I can't even access worpress from the top menu.

elaine
What I have noticed is that when I save something to the home page or to the global settings it works fine until a refresh. I don't know if that helps any. For instance I just removed the GIF that is the branding and made a jpeg (I'm grasping) save those settings and it worked. refreshed the screen and it didn't.

elaine
Sorry for the late reply btw. We are in different time zones.

Danny
Ok, I think I have found out the issue. Basically, you have both the branding and BrandNav sections active, please drag and drop one of these sections to the available/disabled sections area and refresh your website please. This should resolve the error.

elaine
Aaaahhh....lol. I was so hoping that was the simple solution but no. For some reason the contact page always works. It's the simplest of all pages.

elaine
It's the intermittent thing I don't get. But it's not so intermittent now. When I first update a page it's fine but then when I refresh its not. I've emptied the cache on my browser and so on to make sure but to no avail.

elaine
if it helps here are the plugins installed..... Askimet All in one Seo Backup Wordpress Breadcrumb NavXt Contact Form 7 Disqus Comment System Easy Verification flickrRSS Google Analytics for Wordpress Google XML Sitemaps jetpack for wordpress.... not set up Permalink Redirect Really Simple Captcha WP Super Cache WP Touch ..... I disabled all plugins before though (several times) and still had the same issue.

Danny
Hi Elaine, OK well using both Branding and BrandNav was causing a js conflict on your website, with one of the sections now disabled the error has gone. The Twitterbar issue, would it be possible to download a fresh copy of Platform Pro from your Launchpad and then upload the section.twitterbar.php /wp-content/themes/platformpro/sections/ and overwrite the one you currently have and see if that resolves the issue please.

elaine
I'll look into that now. Thanks for all your help btw. I don't want to stop using this theme but I'm under a lot of time pressure. Your help is invaluable.

elaine
As I kinda guessed that's not solving anything. I had already deleted the theme and reinstalled and checked through cpanel for anything left behind. There are obviously other traces of the theme left behind when I do this though because my settings still remain. I'm happy to restart setting up the site in regards to the theme settings if I have to. The reinstalled version came from a download from my launchpad.

Danny
Hi Elaine, I am honestly at a loss as to why this is happening. I will bring this to the attention of one of our developers and see if he can assist you. This may take some time as there quite busy at the moment.

elaine
Thanks Danny. I appreciate that. Let me know the moment you hear anything. Sorry for the urgency but I have a release of an app coming soon and this could be very bad for my marketing.

elaine
I just noticed something..... this could be unrelated but when I leave the site for a while, like I just did for lunch and mental health reasons..lol... it works fine until a refresh.

Jenny
Elaine, your "it worked and now it doesn't" experience is directly related to WP Super Cache. I am not a fan nor an advocate of caching plugins as they do exactly what you are describing. Fixing things and then viewing your site, well.. you usually view a cached version. Check it later, and it's a new version. You should never activate a caching plugin until you are done setting up your site and it's live. I recommend deleted the caching plugin and removing the references to it from both FTP and the database. These things are nasty and leave trails everywhere. This may be obvious, but do you have your twitter handle set up in the options?

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.