Sign in to follow this  
anlinares

Images in Post Excerpt

anlinares

http://www.caughtyouoncamera.com I am trying to figure out how to include an image in the post excerpt for blog layout mode. Actually, I've got that part down. I added to the allowed tags. However, this is a photography blog so it is important that each post excerpt show an image. I'd like to keep it consistent across the board and just show maybe the text and images in the post through maybe the 2nd image (instead of limiting post excerpts by number of words). Is this possible? I'd like it to be the same on all posts pages (blog, category, archives, search, etc.) other than the single post page. I appreciate your help!!!

Rob
Hi, Sometimes these things seem like they should be incredibly complex but it turns out often that the solution is at hand and we've simply forgotten where to look. You couldn't simply change the settings in Dashboard > Settings > Media, then align the thumbnail by CSS for one, consistent image, then use the tags for the second, actually placing it in the excerpt? Did you try that method? Let us know if this works for you.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

anlinares
I hadn't thought about changing the thumbnail size. That might work. But I don't think it's ideal. As the images in the post may not always fit the same dimensions. Also, I ideally don't want to have to set a featured image for each post. Just want to create the posts and publish! I just want to have blog excerpts for each post because there are so many images loading on the page and it makes the page so long. Ideally viewers could see the content of the blog up to two images and then they would see the 'Continue Reading' link. I have added the tag to the list of accepted tags. However, the post excerpts are still limited based on word count. So on some posts I get no images at all and others there are 5. I just want to end the excerpt after the 2nd image for all posts.... so some posts will be a little longer than others but you get a little sneak peek of what the pics will look like if you choose to 'continue reading'. Is there a way to code this so that the excerpt can end at this point?

Rob
Have you tried eliminating the numbers in the post excerpt length settings (not to 0 but nothing in the field, and just copying/pasting the excerpt you want into the excerpt field in posts? I never use automated excerpts when I can avoid them for a variety of reasons. The actual process takes about 2 seconds per post if you just copy/paste the first and perhaps second sentence of the post.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

anlinares
That sounds promising. And then you have control over each excerpt. Now I'm looking for this and can't find it. Never even knew this was an option. Where can I find the excerpt field?

anlinares
Never mind. Dug around and found it. A little hidden gem I never knew of. Thanks, rangelone!