Sign in to follow this  
fiduciary

Social Media icons not showing up

fiduciary

Hello, I tried setting up the social media links under PlatformPro >> Header and Nav, but they are not showing up. They are in the source code for the header but do not appear:

The Institute for the Fiduciary Standard

Any advice? Thanks

Rob
In Dashboard > PlatformPro > Headers And Footers, you've entered the links to each of the social media icons with their social media accounts? The option under [b]News/Blog RSS Icon [/b]is checked? Did you create any custom CSS?

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

fiduciary
Yes, I've done all that. I only have a bit of custom CSS that works on just one page: [code] body{ .page-id-1121 #pagelines_content { margin-top: -30px; margin-bottom: -20px } } [/code]

Rob
Your CSS is a little off. Try this: [code]body{} .page-id-1121 #pagelines_content { margin-top: -30px; margin-bottom: -20px }[/code] The open body tag (with curly bracket at the end) may seem fine from a coding angle, but as CSS, it's likely to break things. Let's see if this fixes the problem.

catrina
Perhaps they are hidden somehow. Try adding this CSS: [code]div.icons {z-index: 2 !important;}[/code]

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

fiduciary
That made the search bar visible (though I want it hidden) but did not change the icons.

Danny
Hi, The issue is the CSS for each icon, the path to the images is incorrect. Below is what you currently have: [code].icons .linkedinlink { background: url(../../../../../DOCUME%7E1/knally/LOCALS%7E1/images/sprite-socialicons.png) no-repeat -66px 0; }[/code] The path should look something similar to this: [code].icons .rsslink { background: url(../images/sprite-socialicons.png) no-repeat 0 0; } .icons .twitterlink { background: url(../images/sprite-socialicons.png) no-repeat -22px 0; } .icons .linkedinlink { background: url(../images/sprite-socialicons.png) no-repeat -66px 0; }[/code]

Please search our forums, before posting!

fiduciary
Ok, so how do I change it? I tried copying that into custom CSS but no change. Do I have to upload the images onto my site from somewhere?

Jenny
It looks like you developed your site locally and didn't change any of the paths in the database. Try reading over this tutorial: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/migrate-locally-developed-wordpress-site-live-server/

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

fiduciary
Ok thanks. Based on this tutorial it looks like I have to re-adjust the original backup and load it again. Will this mess up any settings that I changed on the server (rather than locally), and if so is there any work-around? Thanks for your help.

Jenny
You may be able to do a search and replace but I honestly can't give you advice on what to search for since the hierarchy is so deep, example: ../../../../../DOCUME%7E1/knally/LOCALS%7E1/images/sprite-socialicons.png

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

fiduciary
Ok, a couple final questions: 1. I want to edit the theme CSS (http://www.thefiduciaryinstitute.org/wp-content/themes/platformpro/css/theme.css). To do so, do I need to access it through FTP or can I somehow edit it through my WordPress dashboard? 2. What is the default icon size for the social media icons?

Rob
You shouldn't really be editing core files. CSS should be added to Dashboard > PlatformPro > Custom Code > CSS Rules. Do you have PlatformBase 1.4.1 activated?

fiduciary
No, I'm on 1.3.9. Will upgrading help fix this problem?

Rob
If you're on PlatformBase 1.3.9, I'd strongly urge you to save your /platformbase/functions.php to your desktop AND copy/paste all your custom CSS to a text file saved also to your desktop. Then you can update safely.