Sign in to follow this  
orangeleaf

Where has dynamic.css gone?

orangeleaf
I wrote: Where has the option "enable inline css" option gone in v2.15? It seems now to be set always to show css inline, resulting in tons of undesirable css in the header. NB. Our current development site is entirely 777'd, yet no dynamic.css is forthcoming... Help please.
pross Simon said: PageLines Framework does not use a dynamic.css file as there were too many issues with cheap hosting and file permissions.
Question is: What about all us pro's that have professional setups (i.e. not cheap hosting) and can cope with setting file permissions? Our `head` tags are full of css confetti.

Simon
Were working on a new system for 2.2+ you can see it in action here: http://pross.org.uk/ There is no ETA. We decided to do away with writing any files to the file system for 2 main reasons. 1. File permissions as already mentioned. Most 2 bit hosts use apache in mod_php mode so all files created are owned by 'nobody' or 'www-data' etc, then the end user needs root permissions to delete it. 2. Again the same 2 bit hosts usually have a reverse proxy squid/varnish cache that caches css/js/images etc for 30+ days so you have to get the host to purge the cache every time you save your options. So the new system uses wp_rewrite to create a url that does not really exist but points to the dynamic css, browsers will cache it, so will proxys whatever BUT the filename changes every time you save settings thus busting the cache.

orangeleaf
Will this mean a double load of Wordpress? Once for the top page and once to ultimately output the css?

Simon
Yes it will, but only once. It does not load everything, trust me its less impact than parsing all the custom css and putting it in the header, then parsing all the less css from sections etc and putting that in the header too.

orangeleaf
[quote]Yes it will, but only once.[/quote] Mmm... [scratches beard thoughtfully]. Ok, I'll take your word for it.