Sign in to follow this  
gyoery

dynamic links in boxes

gyoery

I have 2 custom links within my boxes ("NEWS" + "DETAILS") News Details Since I am using this link on almost every static page, I want to make two universal links from this along the lines of: News News I know that the categories of posts and boxes are not the same, though in my config they have the same category names. I do want the variables for the category names of the boxes the link is in. Now my questions: Is this possible? Is there a better way? What are the variables? Help is appreciated.

Danny
Gyoery, Can you go into greater detail as I don't understand what you're trying to do or what you're referring too!

Please search our forums, before posting!

gyoery
I am trying to have a link in my boxes linking either to the static page of that topic, or to the blogroll with the latest news to that topic. For example if you click on events, it has the 2 events that we host, and for each you can decide, if you want to jump to the news (blog) or to the general information (static page) This is true for all boxes on: Events, Projects, Research, Lectures. As I don't want to always hardcode the links into the boxes, I am looking for a universal solution to "create" a link based on the category and the parent category of the box the link is in. Basically the link should say something like:
  • Rob
    The solution would be to create a shortcode and apply that to the box as applicable. This can't be done by recoding the boxes themselves but careful crafting of your shortcode can pick up on the things you want to link but I think you'll still end up pasting something into the box.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

gyoery
    I want to paste something in the box. I always want to paste exactly the same link in the box, and depending of the category of the box it should be a different link for each box.

Rob
    Unfortunately, we have no control over how you add content to various areas of your site. There's no PageLines issue involved in this. It's simply a matter of your own content added as you deem fit. There's nothing to be encoded into our code as the box code doesn't apply to the content area except to create it. If you need a serious customization (which I don't believe possible), try getting a quote from one of our pros.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

gyoery
    ok.. I think you are not understanding what I am trying to achieve... just tell me, is there a code, that displays the category of a box within it. That is all I need.

Danny
    Hi Gyoery, I don't think that functionality is available therefore you will need to create your own shortcode to be added or like Rangelone suggested, contact one of the PageLines Pros.

Please search our forums, before posting!