Sign in to follow this  
kywine

What templates do I need?

kywine

For this new site, I intend for my blog page to be the home page for the site. Template setup has confused me. How many pages will I need to set up? Will one default page work? Instead of a default page or a numbered template page, do I need to use either "Blog" or "Blog Post?" What is the difference between those two? I have watched and read various tutorials about template setup and have not managed to figure this out. Thank you for any help.

Rob
You need to simply design your blog template and leave the page completely blank. You may of course add Features (either dynamically via post categories or statically via Dashboard > Features > Add New), and boxes via Dashboard > Boxes > Add New Boxes. If you add content to the page, it will not render the list of posts. You may of course, use the default template and then you don't have to create any static pages. You can see that model live here: http://www.epicurus.com/food/recipes/

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

kywine
That helps. One confusion re this: [quote]You may of course, use the default template and then you don't have to create any static pages.[/quote] I do have static pages, and will need them. Does that mean I build a page template for them? I am a bit bogged down in the different ways the platform uses "page," "post," and "blog," (or seems to.) I'm happy to be getting advice from a Food Expert!

Danny
Hi, I have provided you with a link to the Wordpress Codex for creating static pages, please eead through this documentation and once you have simply follow the steps below. http://codex.wordpress.org/Creating_a_Static_Front_Page 1. Login to your Wordpress Admin Dashboard 2. Go to Pages and click Add New Page. 3. Add a title to this page called Blog and click Save. (you can also select a different template too) 4. Still in your Wordpress Admin Dashboard, go to Settings and then Reading. 5. Using the steps above from the Wordpress Codex, in the drop down for Static Pages, use the drop down for Posts Page and select the Blog page you just created. 6. Refresh your website and your homepage should be set as your Blog Page. If you wish to add features, boxes, banners etc... to your Blog Page. Simply login to your Wordpress Admin Dashboard > Templates > Blog Page Template and drag and drop whatever you like to this template. Once you have the layout you want, go to Wordpress Admin Dashboard > PageLines > Meta and then select Blog Page and set the options for the different sections there.

Please search our forums, before posting!

kywine
Thank you for this response. I do already have a blog page set as my home page, using [url]http://screencast.com/t/vimgjDY2m3oK[/url] the WP > Settings> Reading dialog. Do I also need to work through the steps you have offered, in order to be able to apply the blog template within PageLines to the way my home page/blog page works and looks?

Jenny
Hi @kywine. The blog page is set up automatically and is the default Wordpress layout. Your screenshot looks correct. Just visit Templates -> Blog and make sure you have the content area in there. ("Blog Post" is a single post.)

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.