Sign in to follow this  
gyoery

jquery quicksand conflicting with feature

gyoery

I know, this is not regular support stuff, though maybe some1 knows a quick fix: I'm using quicksand plugin to sort the team. And that uses jquery 1.7. This conflicts with my feature slider/quick slider. Any Ideas how to resolve this conflict, since I really wanna use both?

ksnyde
I just integrated quicksand yesterday and it worked after a little tweaking. I accomplished this by adding a plug which: - loads the dependancy JS files (jquery.animate.js, jquery.css-transform.js, jquery.easing.1.3.js) into the footer using wp_enqueue_scripts - loads the CSS file using wp_enqueue_style - then I loaded the quicksand.js file using above technique - finally (and this is where a little tweaking was necessary) I added a file called localsand.js which has the two "on document load jQuery anonymous functions." On the http://razorjack.net/quicksand/ site this was saved as "main.js". Anyway, for this file to work I had to use a jQuery wrapper around both functions so that they worked properly. Maybe this was clear but here's an example of the start and end blocks of the second function after I applied the jQuery wrapper: [code] (function($) { var read_button = function(class_names) { var r = { selected: false, type: 0 }; for (var i=0; i < class_names.length; i++) { if (class_names[i].indexOf('selected-') == 0) { r.selected = true; } if (class_names[i].indexOf('segment-') == 0) { r.segment = class_names[i].split('-')[1]; } }; return r; }; ... e.preventDefault(); }); }); })(jQuery); [/code]

gyoery
well, as soon as I add [code] [/code] to my scripts, it messes up my features, but the quicksand works great. If I remove it, the features work but the quicksand doesnt... I added the 2 js you said (already had easing) even though it was working without, in the hopes that I could then remove the above mentioned line, and it would work, but it didnt... any ideas? [code] //These are the javascripts in my header //This is the js in my footer [/code]

ksnyde
You shouldn't add jQuery, Wordpress already adds this and you're just asking for conficts if you do this.

gyoery
ok, though how do I fix it... it seems to not work with the jquery that is included... I'm really at a loss here.. It just simply doesn't work... even when I use the 1.71 it doesnt show the features... and when I don't add anything, the quicksand is not working.

Rob
Have you considered writing to the plugin author?

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

gyoery
it is not a plugin... its simple jquery...

Rob
[quote]"I'm using quicksand plugin to sort the team."[/quote] That reads like there's a plugin involved in this. Are you saying that the plugin is just adding jQuery? The developer of Quicksand should have some answers for this problem.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

ksnyde
The author may respond on GitHub but he's not actively working on Quicksand so I'm not sure he will. Still worth a try though. I think what you may be experiencing is similar to what I ran into and it's a classic jQuery name collision on the $ variable. Look at your second jQuery anonymous function in your footer. It does not use the "no conflict" method I suggested. It's subtle but critical. Look at my beginning: [code] (function($) { [/code] and yours: [code] $(function() { [/code] Now look at the footers of that same function. Mine is: [code] })(jQuery); [/code] yours is: [code] }); [/code] I'd be surprised if that doesn't fix it. If it doesn't you'll have to use Firebug or one of the other browser debuggers to dig into it a bit more. One last word -- but this is just for extra credit -- you should try and load all JS files in the footer not the header. This will be the right answer for a VAST majority of the JS files you encounter yet people consistently put them in the header anyway unaware that JS files load serially and prevent the page from rendering before they load. Sometimes this is not noticeable but often it is. In the Sandbox case the only JS file that needs to be in the header is jQuery itself but as Wordpress is loading that for you it's not really your concern. The other dependency is the jQuery extensions should be before the Quicksand library. Otherwise you're good to go, no issues. The best way to manage all of this is to use the wp_enqueue_script function and hook it into the "wp_enqueue_scripts" hook (e.g., [code]add_action('wp_enqueue_scripts', 'QuickSand::add_dependant_scripts');[/code] where QuickSand::add_dependency_scripts might look like this: [code] class QuickSand { const plugin_name = 'QuickSand'; const min_php_version = '5.2'; /** * add_dependant_scripts * * Adds the necessary JavaScript and CSS to the pages */ public static function add_dependant_scripts () { // wp_enqueue signature: // wp_enqueue_script ( $handle, $source, $depedencies, $version, $in_footer ) // Adds a cool effect when items go on or off stage. This is optional but much prettier when it is there wp_enqueue_script ( 'jquery.easing', plugins_url ( 'js/jquery.easing.1.3.js' , dirname(__FILE__)) , 'jquery' , false , true ); wp_enqueue_script ( 'jquery.animate' , plugins_url ( 'js/jquery.animate.js' , dirname(__FILE__) ) , 'jquery' , false , true ); // Not sure precisely what it does but it's a 100% requirement to this working wp_enqueue_script ( 'jquery.css-transform', plugins_url ( 'js/jquery.css-transform.js' , dirname(__FILE__)) , 'jquery' , false , true ); // The actual quicksand library wp_enqueue_script ( 'quicksand', plugins_url ( 'js/jquery.quicksand.js' , dirname(__FILE__)) , 'jquery.easing' , false , true ); wp_enqueue_script ( 'localsand', plugins_url ( 'js/localsand.js' , dirname(__FILE__)) , 'quicksand' , false , true ); // Add the required styling wp_enqueue_style ( 'quicksand' , plugins_url ( "css/quicksand.css" , dirname(__FILE__)) ); } /** * initialise * * The main function for this plugin */ public static function initialise() { // Nothing Yet // TestLibrary::min_php_version(self::min_php_version, self::plugin_name); } }[/code] Good luck, hope it all works out.

gyoery
not the author, but the awesome ksnyde fixed it all for me. Thanx again man for this extreme support!!