Sign in to follow this  
ashiq

Blog page Template issues

ashiq

Hello, First of all, thank you for creating such an incredible tool! I am trying to build a new website using the Pagelines framework and I really love it! At the moment I am stuck with the Blog template. As you can see from the above url, whatever I do, the blog page layout is not changing. I would like the blog page to be two column with a right sidebar. Can you please tell me what I should be doing in order to get the main content fill the page rather than starting from the middle of the page? Thanks for your help,

gyoery
you have 2 sidebars activated... go to: pages > your blog page > scroll down to meta > select single right (or left) sidebar > SAVE hope this helps.

ashiq
Hi, Thanks for the help. In fact that it was done just as you suggested, but the page still remains the same. I have selected the default template (which is the same as home page) but for some reason, when I view the page with the admin logged in, it shows 'Template: Blog' I have tried changing the template to different templates and but the template remains the same. I have also tried it as per http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/How_to_Use_the_Page_Setup_Settings#Individual_Page_Content_Layout but nothing seems to work. Could this be a bug? Thanks for your help.

ashiq
I just realised that I ticked 'hide primary sidebar' in the Blog page and I unticked it, so the primary side bar is displaying now- but what I really want is no primary side bar on blog page and the content to fill the page instead of the left side bar. thanks

gyoery
sorry 4 the wrong info... the blog page has 2 be set in the Meta: Pagelines > Meta > Blogpage > Page Setup my mistake...

ashiq
That's fantastic! that solved my two hours of sweating! I have one more question- I would like to have different layouts for different inner pages too (not special pages). Is that achieved through the same procedure? Can I also rename the templates? Many thanks for all your help. Keep doing the good job :)

ashiq
Hello Mate, I have one more question on the blog page. How do I add a right column and display the blog related contents like categories, comments, tags etc?

gyoery
1. Renaming templates, sure it can be done, though I don't know how. 2. You can select for each page the Meta Data on the page itsself (like in my first answer). The blogpage being an exception as it is "special" 3. The sidebar is configured under menu > widgets (Maybe you consider creating a custom menu first that you can then add) PS: Don't sweat... usually we can get a handle on things..,

ashiq
Thanks. Now that there are very good helping hands, I'm sure I will take it easy! I have tried the above for the right hand side bar, but it is not displaying. For the blog page I want a right sidebar similar to the one in the home page. Its a Secondary Sidebar and when I look from the Widget page, all those contents are already there, but how do I make some of those widgets available in the blog page sidebar? Another thing is- the blog posts seem to be displaying in full rather than the Summary. I have changed the settings from Setting> Reading and made it only summary but it is still showing full post. Any ideas? Cheers

tceballos
Hello, I read this and I have the following questions 1 - try to create a blog on my site, setting in "Settings" - "BLOG AND POST" THEN, on target and templates "Blog", but when creating a "PAGE", I only listed the "TEMPLATES FROM 1 TO 5" but not the templates "blog" 2. - Or should I create this blog to my main site on a subdomain? and reinstall wordpress and PageLines? I followed the steps, as shown in the tutorials note: I'm working on localhost

gyoery
@tce there is no "blog-template" you have one blogroll page, that`s customizable from the Pagelines > Meta. You can then select a different page to be your front page. @ashiq set where to show excerpts and where to show full pages under PL > Settings > Blogs and Posts. Dont select doubles or they will be displaying both excerpt and full width. You can drag and drop your widgets to the sidebars you want them displayed in.

ashiq
Hi gyoery, Thaks for that. The excerpt listing is sorted now. Regarding the sidebar- there is already a secondary sidebar with the widget I want. That is what is displayed in home page, but the same is not getting displaying in Blog page. Any suggestions? Cheers

catrina
The Blog page uses a different sidebar from the home page and it's probably another type of sidebar (like Universal Sidebar or Primary Sidebar). If you want the sidebar on the Blog page to have the same widgets as the ones in the secondary sidebar, you'll need to put the same widgets in that sidebar in the Blog page.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

tceballos
@gyoery Thank you.. You better put me in navigating the configuration of the different areas .. is easier than it looks Very nice .. Thanks

Rob
The Blog template is used ONLY for the Blog page, which is a dynamically created page. It's different from a static page you call blog, but comprises part of that page. Since it's a dynamically driven template, you won't find it among the six templates available for pages and posts which include Default and Templates 1 to 5. Those are the templates you can customize to your heart's content and select when creating pages or posts. That said, you can still customize a Blog template but, if you look at your options, it's essentially how the list of blog items appear. Under Page Templates for Blog, you'll usually just see "Content" but you can add things like Boxes, Features, etc. Now if you go to Content Area (via the 2nd template map) you'll now see things like Posts Info, PostLoop, and Post/Page Pagination. Go to the Blog Post template in the same area and you're getting the Content Area of individual posts. I know it's a bit complicated but once you get a handle on what each template does, and each section, you'll easily master this and find creative ways to manipulate where things appear on your pages that will bring you and your site's visitors pleasure for quite some time. Sidebars are selected globally via the Templates. If you want to hide them and not have a big blank space, you should always check the option "Hide Sidebars When Empty" found in Dashboard > PageLines > Settings > Website Setup.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur