Sign in to follow this  
Gavin_

Vanilla load time

Gavin_

Hi we have vanilla integrated with pagelines as per the guides here. we also use add S2member WP Vanilla Connect and jsConnect in order to achieve a single sign on our problem is the speed at which vanilla loads for the signon this is an excerpt from a report i asked for I established, early on that pagelines+vanilla forum integration caries a large overhead, which when wordpress was force loaded caused a long delay, in comparison to the vanilla on it own. The difference averaged 500ms vs 8-12seconds. The jsConnect Auto plugin needs to perform a three step handshake, so that is 24 seconds or more. "Pagelines itself, and other wordpress plugin carry some overhead outside of the forum pages. Under consideration need to be the benefit of such CMS tools, vs the overhead they bring once the desired content is established. I have set up Total Cache for Wordpress (without minification), however these optimisation will make a negligible difference to the above outcomes right now as the issue is loading the framework itself, and as you suggested the number of plugins used, can be an issue, and this need to be considered carefully. I had a look a memory usage, and limits are as high as the aught to be, and raising them did not improve the situation. Considering the forum does have large user base as it grows, then as it grows, then the pressure on server will escalate." is there anything that you can recommend? thanks

Danny
Hi Gavin, I added the site you linked to this [url="http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/web-sites-on-web-server/"]service[/url] and found that there are over 150 websites on the same server. This really isn't an ideal environment for a website using a forum, I found this out the hardway. All Shared Hosting packages aren't really great to be totally honest and with the price of VPS's rather cheap at the moment, I would highly recommend purchasing one, you definitely won't regret it.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Gavin_
Thanks for the advice Danny and that is certainly something we are looking at however the vanilla "expert" i had do the review felt that the pagelines integration was also part of the problem is the forum here integrated in the same way?

Simon
Alternatively give the bbpress plugin a try, seeing as you only have about 15 threads on your forum it would be easy to change.

Gavin_
Hi Simon interesting recommendation - we were on bbpress originally but changed to vanilla due to the support it got here and the integration - i did notice that you have subsequently restored the bbpress but i am loathed to go back that way now. thanks

Rob
Gavin, I too experienced considerable lag time with Vanilla when I tried it. In fact, in a shared hosting environment (not a cheap one either), it crashed my site way too often. I might add that I had PlatformPro running prior to that, and in more than one installation, Framework, which I was beta-testing at the time. I had no server load issues with any PageLines products, however, Vanilla did cause quite a number of them. Eventually, I took two major steps that helped. First, I implemented Max-CDN to reduce the server load of all scripts (Vanilla uses lots of them), and Second, I moved from a shared to dedicated environment, giving me greater control of the assets on the machine, not to mention more resources. I too had invested lots of time and effort into bbPress and BuddyPress, then switched to Vanilla. I've taken the steps to go right back, not because of the integration, but because they're lighter on the server load and work, I think, better with WordPress. Truthfully, I needed groups and Vanilla didn't have them. I'm not sure what you're paying for hosting, but there are many inexpensive, self-managed dedicated server deals out there for as little as $59 a month.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur