Sign in to follow this  
jens0771

Side by side posts of diff categories for dummies :)

jens0771

So, I've seen some posts about side by side posts of different categories (showing most recent). When I read the forums, I'm new to php and was hoping the Pagelines Framework would do this OTB, but it does. So.. I'm hoping someone might be willing to hold my hand through this. The forum posts I've seen have tons of assumptions and missing pieces where I don't even know how to start. But to state the typical question that is used for this... I like boxes... and I want to show two posts similar to it, side by side only my my front page using the categories Featured and Blog. I've got the site split in 3 on the front with far right being a twitter feed. How do I best go about doing this? Plugins or code? I've tried some plugins but they don't seem to work, more than likely user error. Code I have no idea where to start other than mentions of using hooks which again, no idea where to start. Please help! :)

Andrew
is this for your blog page? Have you played around with the Clips? We have a new section coming out shortly called "PostPins" that should be awesome for this type of thing, let us know if you want access to the beta. Ap

gyoery
I do, I do!!!!! I can even help bugfixing... Please PM me, what I have to do, to get that!

catrina
In case Andrew doesn't see your post, you should try messaging him directly to request access.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

jens0771
I've message Andrew about the Postpin, but in the mean time... what is the clips he's talking about. Is it the Coda Clips? If so, I'm still not sure exactly where to place the code so that is specifically shows up on my "home" page only.

Jenny
Blog and Posts settings -> Select Post Layout Mode Use Magazine Layout Mode

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

jens0771
I have that, and it works for the archive page, but it doesn't apply to my front static page that's setup in Reading as the Front page.

catrina
What do you have set as the front static page? Only blog posts can be displayed in the Magazine Layout Mode.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

gyoery
you can use tables or pp2..5 or boxes to display columns on other pages.

Danny
Hi @jens0771, Have any of the suggestions worked out for you or do you require further assistance ?

Please search our forums, before posting!

jens0771
Danny, none of these appear to work for me. Maybe I'm missing something. I was hoping to hear back from Andrew about PostPin's but I haven't yet. I guess I may just be over my head and have to find someone to do some custom php :( It's not so much the columns issue, I'm using a short code plugin to create my columns... it's just about how to populate a static page, and by entering code into that page (using php plugins if needed) to display 2 posts, each in their own column, showing the most recent post of 2 different categories.

Rob
Take a look here: http://www.epicurus.com/magazine/ and let me know if this is what you're trying to achieve (the area below Contents and the first four posts/categories listed, starting with Recipes). Let us know and I can tell you how I did this. It was so easy. No coding required.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

jens0771
rangelone yes!!! that's exactly what I want to do. The only difference is I'll have them side by side in vertical columns, but that's something that isn't a problem. I just need to know how to get those most recent posts of those categories!!!

Rob
Okay. Here's the scoop. You need two plugins: Special Recent Posts (gives you the most recent posts and you configure their appearance by writing a long shortcode (no pun intended). In that you'll select the category to display. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/special-recent-posts/ The other you'll need is Boxer. This is a bit more complex in some ways and does take a bit of a learning curve. Essentially, you create a new box set. Add a shortcode (they give examples) to your page. Then, inside the boxes you select an image (I suggest a default for the category), using the category name for the box title. Inside the edit field, just insert the Special Recent Posts shortcode, tailored to your preferences. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/boxer/ Save all your settings for each box. BTW, once you get the shortcode for Special Recent Posts done right, you copy/paste it again and again only changing the numeric value of your category. Edit each new box to include the title, image and a few other details and set up the boxes to be in two columns. Voila' you're in business. It's a bit time consuming (about an afternoon) but you'll be happy with the results. Oh, and you can also do this with our boxes too, but with fewer settings.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

jens0771
Thanks so much! I had tried a few things like that but it didn't work and I assumed I must have been doing it wrong or it was unable to. I'll be cracking on this tomorrow so I'll report back with any questions. Again, thanks so much!

jens0771
hey rangelone, one last question... where do I style the css for these? Btw, IT WORKS!!! Thank you so much! I had originally used this setup but thought it was widget only, I didn't realize the short code aspect until you said it and I scrolled all the way to the bottom in the plugin installation page.

Danny
Hi Jens0771 You can add your custom CSS to either PageLines > Settings > Custom Code > CSS Rules, add them to your child themes style.css or use the PageLines Customisation plug-in's style.css. The choice is up to you!

Please search our forums, before posting!

sentinel
I just purchased pagelines and I'd like to do this as well. Just one question for Rangelone. On your example http://www.epicurus.com/magazine/ the boxer boxes are responsive in that they get narrower. This will end up being too arrow for me. Is there a way to make the boxes reposition vertically so they don't get so narrow?