Sign in to follow this  
eliamalmstengmailcom

Handheld CSS only possible?

eliamalmstengmailcom

Hi! I love the new handheld view. But I was wondering if it is possible to apply specific css for handheld devices?

gyoery
it is, but only with javascript... if you program your css correctly, you shouldnt need it. That is what responsive design is all about. Instead of width: u use max-width: and so on...

Jenny
You can also check out the Browser Specific CSS plugin available in the PL Store. It allows you to write custom CSS on a per-browser basis.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

gyoery
actually it should even be possible without javascript... its just a few lines in your header script aeria: It doesnt actually check what system but only the screen size.

Rob
The best method, as recommended by Simple Mama, is the Browser Specific CSS plugin available at our store. Thanks @gyoery for your unput and effort but in this case, the plugin is much more specific to handle different types of mobile devices based on their specific OS. That's why we built it and made it available to everyone. ;-)

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Danny
Hi, I will see if we can get this added to our documentation but... Add browser specific classes to the main body tags for all major browsers and devices. This plugin will add a custom body tag depending on what browser/device is viewing the page. Normal body tag might look like this: [code][/code] With the plugin enabled and viewing in chrome it looks like this: [code][/code] These added classes can be used for advanced css to target specific selectors per browser/device. Full list of classes: [code].handheld .mobile .desktop .ios .tablet .iphone .ipad .ipod .android .blackberry .opera-mobile .palm .symbian .windows-mobile .lg .motorola .nokia .samsung .samsung-galaxy-tab .sony-ericsson .nintendo .desktop .lynx .firefox .opera .safari .chrome .ie [/code] If Internet explorer is detected the version will also be added like ie7. Disclamer: This plugin does NOT add css and fix pages for specific browsers, it only adds body classes to help you.

Please search our forums, before posting!

WebWerx
Hey @Danny: Did this stuff every get added to the docs? Any more tits around the forums related to tweaking this stuff?

Jenny
http://www.pagelines.com/tracking/wiki/Browserspecificcss%3AMainPage

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.