Sign in to follow this  
quipmaster

Keyword search site recommendations

quipmaster

Dear Pagelines Community, Is there an online resource where I can conduct keyword research that anyone can recommend? I want to know which keywords will gain the most traction in my niche. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you, Luis

Rob
Luis, I use my own creative analysis of my posts and pages to create keywords, prefaced by some basics. For example, since my site is about food, each recipe has 'recipes, food, cooking' as basic keywords, then I look at the post and see things like 'lemons, spinach, eggs, pasta, Florentine, cheese, tagliatelle' and 'boiling, techniques, vegetables, sauces', etc. Doing this by hand ensures that each post is properly tagged and that search engines see the post correctly. My personal opinion is that the automated systems don't do your site justice because they don't 'weigh' the importance of keywords as the human mind (and the search engines) can.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

quipmaster
Dear Rangelone, Thank you very much for sharing your techniques. It means a lot to me. Especially since I read in a previous post that your website went from 300,000 visitors to over 2M. Before I got sidetracked with all this SEO chatter, I knew that I wanted my site to attract nonprofit executives. Additionally, I wanted my content to deal with innovation management, marketing strategy, business model development and general marketing data analysis in the nonprofit sector. However, some keyword searches reported that those terms are hardly ever searched monthly. Could you tell me how you tagged each post? Best regards, Luis

Rob
Luis, I start off with a set of basics for each section (sets for recipes, drinks, glossary, etc.). Each set of terms includes my domain name, the section subject and two basics. So, let's say it's a recipe, the set of terms would be [i]epicurus.com,recipes,food,cooking[/i], ... followed by words that reflect the content. I look for as many as I can find, realizing that twenty or so will usually do, but sometimes there needs to be more, and other times there aren't enough words to describe a recipe. Really, it's just about putting on one's thinking cap and adding words you think others will think of that may apply to your content. So, for an apple pie recipe, I might use words and phrases like [i] apple pie, fruit pie, pie crust, apples, apple filling, apple pie filling, pies, pie, desserts, baked pies, baked goods, apples, cinnamon, raisins, sugar, flour, vanilla, spices,[/i]... etc. In your case, you might want to look at what people in non-profit entities are looking for most and place your mind in their position. For example, you might try donations, charity, contributions, investment, charitable donations, funding, grants, gifts, bequests, bequest, endowments,grant development,... then the ones that aren't searched too often. But take into account that people don't always search the things you expect or that keyword analysis systems show. Popularity of keywords isn't the key in my opinion... it's having enough of the right keywords to describe your posts accurately and broadly. I simply went into each post and added keywords as I was adding or editing posts. BTW, we're up to 3.8 Million pageviews for March. So much traffic that I had to move to a dedicated server.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

quipmaster
Dear Rangelone, Your advice makes a lot of sense. Congrats on the great success of your website. Just one last question, do you use a plugin to tag your keywords? If you do, would you mind sharing the name of that plugin? Thank you for all of your help, Luis

kennyb
Yes here are a couple of plugins: All in One SEO Google XML sitemap generator Also, in order to drive more traffic you will need two accounts. A Google account where you can access the Webmaster tools - and Bing Webmaster tools. You will be able to add your webiste to be indexed by Google and Bing. This is as important as adding SEO. Once you get this squared away, then focus on adding Title tags (this is the most important SEO) Actually, I just posted Bing.com criteria for SEO. It works for Google as well. http://hotwireindustries.com/2012/04/dont-forget-bing-and-optimize-your-website/ - yup that's my wordpress address string right there.