Sign in to follow this  
nicoleisthenewblack

Layering elements to extend past main content

nicoleisthenewblack

I have an image that I would like to extend past the main content area of the blog. The image is currently the background of my tertiary sidebar. i have tried everything. I had success in moving the sidebar around but I couldnt get the z-index to work which I think might have been the problem. 1) Can I get the content and background image of a sidebar to extend past the main area? 2) should i place the image as background to something else, another element? im not sure how to create a new class or element. Any help would be appreciated. I have tried to fix the width as well as set the overflow to visible.

nicoleisthenewblack
i made some progress on my own but still cant get the image to be "above" the content i found something in a wordpress forum that pointed me in the right direction right now i have : [quote]#bubble, #bubble a { display: block; height: 350px; width: 350px; } #bubble { position: absolute; margin: 200px 0 0 875px; } #bubble a { background: transparent url('http://www.nicoleisthenewblack.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/twitter_bubble.png') top left no-repeat; text-indent: -9999em; }[/quote] that gives me the image in the position i want it but its under the content window. the image you can see is the old one currently sitting in the sidebar. i will delete it once i get this to work.

nicoleisthenewblack
hey i think i sorted it! i made the sidebar position absolute and it let it extend past the content window. not sure if its the prettiest code but it works. i had some issue with the other sidebars being shifted, because it ignore the absolute sidebar. i had to put a text widget and add a bunch of breaks until i can sort out how to move the sidebars in a nicer way check it out http://nicoleisthenewblack.com