Sign in to follow this  
cstockton

How do you create a new sidebar?

cstockton

This is the first time I've worked with Platform Pro, and I'm terribly confused about how to create a new sidebar. I want to create a new sidebar specifically for paid subscription areas of the site, so I don't want to use any of the existing sidebars which are being used in various other places of the site. First of all, when I looked at previous forum threads, various people recommended this link: http://www.blogohblog.com/adding-extra-sidebar-to-your-wordpress-theme/ but much of the code they cite is invisible on the page, so I can't follow the steps. Can anyone provide me with a basic step-by-step of how sidebars are defined and created? I tried duplicating one of the existing sb_sidebar.php files I found in the themes folder, but to no avail. They're not showing up in the widgets area. I'm also not clear about how PlatformPro designates which particular sidebars get designated as SB1 or SB2 in the various theme layouts. Is there a way to create a specific and have it show up in the left-hand sidebar area when I choose "two sidebars one on each side" in select layout mode?

Rob
I'm unsure which license you have for PlatformPro but in either case, creating sidebars is not a recommended activity unless you're a professional developer. Even then, if you do the wrong thing, you'll likely break your site. Similarly, editing or copying core files is unsupported and dangerous. PlatformPro provides the Universal and Full Width sidebars, as well as the Tertiary all of which may be used as additional sidebars. If you require more sidebars, I'll recommend you engage one of our pros via http://www.pagelines.com/pros to create new sidebars for you.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

WebWerx
@cstockton - @rangelone: You may also be able to leverage a plugin such as Widget Logic.

cstockton
Thank you, Rangelone. I've got the Developer's edition of Platform Pro, and I understand the caveat about jeopardizing the site. I would still like to get a little help in understanding how additional sidebars are made, but I'm unable to hire a developer. Even though I've recently started working with PlatformPro, I'm sure I'll use it extensively. I've got backups of the site and I understand the risks involved with core files. That said, is there any insight you can give me on how sidebars are created? How I can get them to show up on the widget screen, or how I can specify the specific location of sidebars in the multiple sidebar layout? I'll inform my client about the difficulty and possible drawbacks in this approach, but I would still really like to know how it's done. Thanks.

catrina
You can use PlatformBase and place copies of the core files in the appropriate subdirectory within the platformbase folder so you can work with certain page sections (without worrying about changes getting lost during theme updates). As for the sidebar issue, I only know of the way to do it using a WordPress theme that isn't a PageLines theme. It's explained here (but this is not the correct way to do it on a PageLines site since the files are different): http://www.blogohblog.com/adding-extra-sidebar-to-your-wordpress-theme/

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse