Sign in to follow this  
ksnyde

Sidebar Scope

ksnyde

I'm wondering why the drag-and-drop scope for templates doesn't extend to the sidebars. Unless I'm missing a trick (certainly possible) than the scope of Wrap, SB1, and SB2 in the template editing area are all global in scope. How do I make it so that when I go to page/template 1 I get SB1 and page/template 2 produces SB2?

Simon
Thats what tertiary is for, add sidebar one AND tertiary to the sidebar1 area, then on page 1 hide tertiary and on page 2 hide primary. Two pages two sidebars. Better yet, install widget logic ;)

ksnyde
I took a look at widget logic and may use that. Still I feel PageLines could be much more intuitive and powerful if it allowed the scope of the template to control both main content area AND the sidebars. The same logic could apply to header and footer too but that's probably less important to people as these areas are typically much less dynamic (although I would have thought the more footer fit a similar profile as side bars).

Rob
Ken, I've used and tested plenty of themes, platforms and frameworks and haven't found many that come close to the intuitiveness of PageLines Framework, but of course, I admit a bit of prejudice. While many completely understand the concept of drag-and-drop in our templates, many don't understand the various options for using sidebars within things like the header and footer, or how to mix-and-match sidebars on a page as Simon pointed out earlier. Widget Logic is a fantastic tool, but even without it, pairing two sidebars in one SB# in the template, then hiding the one you don't want on a page is incredibly intuitive, provided it's used. Since there are several available sidebars and combinations possible, really, you have an exponential range of choices. I'm presuming from your reference to global options that you've not gone to Dashboard > Meta > Blog Page and clicked "Page Setup" where you can also hide or unhide various sidebars you added in the template. The Dashboard > Meta area has a wide variety of tools to add much greater template control, on a global range, but each individual page and post you create also has a similar meta settings panel to give you the same controls at that level. Using the available sidebars, you can create a number of amazing options for your site.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

ksnyde
Rangealone, Your prejudice is well deserved I think. :^) I'm still coming up to speed on both Wordpress and PageLines but the more I look the more I feel good about my decision to choose PageLines. On top of a solid and intuitive design the part that really can't be minimised is the incredible support community that surrounds this theme. I can see within your comment a number of techniques that can be employed to meet most of my functional requirements so thanks for getting my thinking germinating. I still think what I'm talking about would be intuitive and a better design than what is currently there. This is not meant as a slam at all but rather a hope for future improvement. In the mean time, some of your suggested approaches to sidebars would make for a really good feature in the documentation section. The video series that exists for "sections" is really high quality and I'd love to see some more of that kind of content for these sorts of "reusable problems".

ksnyde
The one thing I'm still not sure how best to design for is my site will likely need four or five (at least) sidebar widgets. Typically I only use SB1 but maybe the SB2 space will come in handy. Effectively what I use the sidebar is for contextual but periphery information to what is in the main window. So if, for instance, if the site is broken up into a blog, store, content area, and main application which in turn has subsections of configuration, analysis, and exploration. I could imagine that the sidebar widget I use would be distinct for each of these areas. Without giving it too much thought I might consider creating a plugin to add some more sidebar widgets as SB configuration holders. Once they exist, I can add them all into SB1. Then, on Page-based content I would have the option of turning on or off certain sidebars by going into the page-specific content and disable/enabling the right sidebar. This, however, doesn't work when it comes to custom-post types (CPT) single or archive pages (which I use a lot). Right? I'm thinking that in these cases I would either have to create PHP files specifically for these pages and work around PageLines or maybe I can use the conditional logic in Widget Logic. Unfortunately the META settings in PageLines provides no facility to distinquish between CPT's and therefore I don't think it will help.

catrina
[quote]In the mean time, some of your suggested approaches to sidebars would make for a really good feature in the documentation section. The video series that exists for "sections" is really high quality and I'd love to see some more of that kind of content for these sorts of "reusable problems". [/quote] ^ I can include this in a weekly report I'll be submitting at the end of the week and mention that it's a PageLines Documentation-related request. Also, you're correct. You may need to create PHP files and work around PageLines to get the sidebar functionality you're looking for.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

Simon
Widget logic will still work with CPT's just use wordpress template conditionals: is_page() is_archive() etc