Sign in to follow this  
austin-agent

Sprites

austin-agent

I have a WhiteHousePro blog. I do love the look and it has functioned well, but... I'm in a shared hosting environment that is pretty good, but not as great as I'd like. I ran some tests on my blog and I really wish the PNGs in the theme were all slammed together as one file. On my main page I get 41 or so theme png/gif requests which are mostly tiny files. I get the about same number of requests on every other page from the theme. When initially loaded the files are fast to transfer, in the range of 200ms each. When the files are cached the same number of requests come across, but I have to wait 100ms for the 304s to hit saying the files are cached. So my question is has anyone at PageLines thought about doing some optimization for speed re reducing the number of image requests by using CSS sprites? If not, might that be included in the next release? That would be super cool.

Andrew

You're correct about the use of sprites... they are more efficient from an HTTP request point of view... The use of them does become difficult with themes however... people like to switch them out to customize their design. With Google looking closer at this though; we will spend an increasing amount of time working on this factor. Maybe people would appreciate the sprite route more... thanks for the idea/feedback!

austin-agent

Awesome. I look forward to it! Just take a look at my site on ping tools.. . Affinity Properties. I think it would surely benefit to have some optimization on HTTP requests in the themes. PS - Love my themes so keep up the good work!