Sign in to follow this  
iamtheeverydaygirl

pagination restricted to category

iamtheeverydaygirl

Hi, I have six different categories on our website and as of right now, the pagination on top of each blog post will go to the previous post and next post, regardless of category. I'd like to restrict the pagination to go to the previous post and the next post in the SAME category. Is there a way I can do this? Also, I'd like to repeat that pagination bar at the bottom of each post as well as the top. Maybe an easy way to do this, too? If I'm lucky?! Thank you!

Simon
You would need a new postnav section. Copy the postnav section folder from pagelines/sections to plugins/pagelines-sections/ Now edit the section to look like this: http://paste.pagelines.com/7m You should have a new item now in the template section.

iamtheeverydaygirl
Sorry -- I'm confused. Where do I edit the section? Where is the postnav section folder?

Simon
Easier method then. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29858470/section-postnavcat.zip Go to store in wp-admin, sections add new, upload. Upload the zip Now go to templates area and set it up like this: http://screencast.com/t/kljZI9kK4

iamtheeverydaygirl
Ugh -- that does seem SO easy, but it's not working for me for some reason! I upload the zip folder into the store, under admin. It just won't show up as an option in my templates. There is no "category postnav" option to drag. Under my added sections, nothing is showing. When I try to re-upload it, it gives me this error message: Destination folder already exists /home/iamtheev/public_html/wp-content/plugins/postnavcat/ Is there something I need to do activate it? Thank you SO much for your help!

catrina
You need to unzip the folder first in order to open the contents. Once the folder is unzipped, you should be able to work from there.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

iamtheeverydaygirl
I'm sorry, but I believe I am unzipping the folder first. I double clicked on it. Then, uploaded it. I'm not seeing any "Category PostNav" option under my templates. I also don't see anything under the "added" section of the Store. Should I be seeing my zip file there? Sorry ... again, it seems so easy! I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong!

catrina
The section should be in the "Added" section of your Store tab. Is it showing up in your Installed Plugins list?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

iamtheeverydaygirl
No ... it's not. Every time I re-try to upload it it gives me this message: Destination folder already exists /home/iamtheev/public_html/wp-content/plugins/postnavcat/ It's not under "installed plugins" either.

Simon
Your using the plugin installer? Thats for wordpress plugins ;) Go to store in wp-admin, sections add new, upload. Upload the zip

iamtheeverydaygirl
I'm going into the "store" under "pagelines" on the dashboard. Going into "sections", adding new, uploading .... and getting that error message again. (Destination folder already exists /home/iamtheev/public_html/wp-content/plugins/postnavcat/) Is there another "store" somewhere and I'm in the wrong place?? Ugh - sorry, I really want this to work! Sorry if I'm missing something obvious!

Danny
Hi EverydayGirl, I have just logged into my test websites Wordpress admin Dashboard > PageLines > Store > Sections < Add Sections and uploaded the zip. Everything worked as intended. The issue you have above is that the section folder already exists, this means you have it already installed. Therefore, if you go to Wordpress Admin Dashboard > PageLines > Store > Sections > Added and see if the "Category PostNav" is there.

Please search our forums, before posting!

iamtheeverydaygirl
Under my my Dashboard > Pagelines > Store > Sections > Added it says "Available user sections will appear here" I hit "refresh store" but nothing is showing up. There is nothing that says Category PostNav. Is there a way to uninstall it and try again??

catrina
You can uninstall it by going into the subdirectory where it's installed (in the PageLines theme install) and delete the folder then try installing again.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Simon
Or unzip it, and upload the folder to wp-content/pagelines-sections/

iamtheeverydaygirl
Catrina, I'm sorry but even after that it's the same problem. I have been looking for any other zip files to upload to see if they work. Is there a place that I can find something to just practice on? I'm trying to see if I can see any added sections in my shop. I don't know what else to try!

Simon
You re going to have to use either FTP or your hosts file manager and put the folder here: /home/iamtheev/public_html/wp-content/plugins/pagelines-sections/

catrina
To practice, you can use a local server on your computer and install WordPress there (the same way you'd install WordPress on a website: http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress#Famous_5-Minute_Install) then install the PageLines Framework theme and try installing the section there. To get a local server running, you can MAMP (http://www.mamp.info/en/index.html)) for Mac or WAMP (http://www.wampserver.com/en/) for Windows.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

iamtheeverydaygirl
@Simon -- Ok, I'm using Filezilla and have found the folder (/home/iamtheev/public_html/wp-content/plugins/pagelines-sections/), but can you tell me how to add the zip to that? Or, where to find the info on how to do it? Everything I'm reading online is not working so far. What's my goal -- to upload a zip folder in Filezilla, right? Thanks!

Simon
no, unzip it,then upload the folder

iamtheeverydaygirl
Ok -- it's showing up now! The only thing is that it's reading "next post in category" and "previous post in category" .... is there something that I need to do to have it actually read the title of each next and previous post? Thank you so much for all the help .....

Rob
Hi, If you look again at the code: http://paste.pagelines.com/7m You'll see 'Previous post in category' which, if you can edit the section, could be changed to '%title' and you'll see 'Next post in category' which can be changed to '%title' resulting in the title showing rather than that text. If you can't edit the section, let us know.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

iamtheeverydaygirl
Should I be editing that section in Filezilla? Not sure where I should be right now .....

Rob
Send me your email address and I'll reply with the section by email, with instructions. Use the Inbox at the top of this screen to send me a message with the email. I'll reply by email.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

iamtheeverydaygirl
Just sent you a message. Thanks!