Sign in to follow this  
neotrope

Question/Suggestion for Home Page Magazine Formatting

neotrope

Hi, folks one thing we need to do, which seems like something you could solve many many queries regarding, for simple magazine formats in Pagelines, would be under the magazine layout, where there is a "wide" layout element, to ADD an option to specify category and if/then make that a custom query loop vs recent posts loop. Then, for the 2 column element below the wide element, offer the same option to specify content category with if/then replace the standard recent posts less number of elements in wide section. This way users could easily do something like "news" for the wide section and set that to say 10 items, pulling from category XX ... then the 2 column element underneath could have XX number of items, pulling from different category (presuming users would know how to look up their category numbers in the WP admin panel). In our case, for example, we need to have "local news" in the wide section, -NOT- recent posts by xx number of items. And then in next section, 2 columns, we need to have items from "national news." In my own templates it's really simple to do this by hand in 5 seconds, but with PageLines, there is no simple way to do this as there is no override for code to enter for the wide element, nor for the 2 column element below that. (So where is my question, right?) If this option is not currently in PageLines, what is the simplest way to do this ... adding separate plugins is not really good solution, as this is basic WP code which should be able to be "dropped in" to those elements, in theory. Suggestions? We have developer edition of PageLines ... testing it out to see if this is good fit versus doing our own templates (e.g., see MusicIndustryNewswire.com for one of my home-brew templates from scratch...). So, not a newbie with WP, but new to PageLines (used Platform a little back in the day...) So... any help on setting up the "wide" section so we could have say 5 items from cat NN1, then the 2 cols below that from cat NN2, would be super awesome funtime cool. THANKS! :-)

catrina
I'm not a developer, so I'm not exactly sure what would be the easiest way to implement this kind of customization, but I'm sure this would involve using the base theme to make edits to the templates. If anything, you can hire a pro designer to take care of this customization for you or a developer can respond here and give you a better idea of what you need to do.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

neotrope
Thanks, Catrina, was looking for help on solving the issue. This ability to specify content to "show" on home page should be a drag-and-drop function, as many other lesser themes have this functionality built in. I am a pro developer, and can simply build my own theme if need be ... trying to find a way not to have to do that, and use something like Pagelines to deploy more quickly as some of the features to drag-drop are nice. However, not being able to specify WHAT content gets pulled on a home page has been a basic "need" for WP sites for 5+ years, so if I have to build my own framework, or theme, or hack the template underneath, why use Pagelines at all? Looking for an "in the product" solution to be able to drop in category loops on home page as a needed function of using this for something beyond a company site or personal blog. If it's not possible to do that, and no help from the developers on this, then we would need to do something else. Any help most appreciated, thanks to everybody!! :-)

Rob
First, I feel your pain. My own site is 15 yrs old and has over 50,000 posts in well over 400 categories. Even in what I call my 'primary groupings' such as recipes, articles, glossaries, beverages, etc, I can't post links using WordPress as I'd like. I've looked into the themes you mention and yes they can do it, but they have severe limitations on so many other things and make much more daily work for me. That's why I selected PageLines - less daily work, bottom line. I know you prefer not to use plugins and I'm sorry to suggest this but I've done what you're hoping to achieve using two. One is called Boxer, which helps me set up boxes how I want them with even greater flexibility that ours, and second is Special Recent Posts which pulls recent posts by category (if that's how you set it up). I realize this isn't what you want. It worked for me in my own site. Since you mentioned being a developer, perhaps the method (based on the model above) then might be to create mini-loops for each category and include them by shortcode into boxes or soapboxes on your page. I have no idea how this would actually be accomplished, not being a developer myself. An independent solution is most assuredly possible, but I fear it would take quite a bit of coding which is likely why Catrina suggested one of our pros. They tend to know the background systems of WordPress and PageLines we moderators won't necessarily know from a developer perspective.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur