Sign in to follow this  
bizint

How can I make my nav drop down menu wider for one line text?

bizint

I've searched the forum and am surprised this one hasn't come up before. I'd like to re-size my drop down menu so the text doesnt wrap but is wide enough to take text on one line? Many thanks

catrina
You can add this code to the Custom CSS: [code]ul.sub-menu {width: 250px;}[/code] Adjust the width according to your wishes.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

bizint
Hi Catrina...I put that in and it doesn't work at all?

Rob
Sorry about that. I think Catrina might have caught the wrong element. Try this: [code] ul.sf-shadow ul.sub-menu, ul.sf-shadow ul.children { background-image: url("images/shadow.png"); background-position: right bottom; padding: 0 6px 7px 0; width: 280px; }[/code]

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

bizint
Range thats great...but fors ome reason my menu must have a gap in it...now when I hover down towards the drop down menu it disappears...why is that please?

Jenny
That is because you have a space between the menu item and it's sub-menu. You will need to add a CSS element to make this work, such as a negative margin-top value. Keep in mind we can't design your site for you so if you need CSS help, make sure you've downloaded [url="http://www.getfirebug.com"]Firebug for Firefox[/url] and check out [url="http://www.w3schools.com/"]W3 Schools[/url] for more info. Also please be sure to watch our Firebug video tutorial [url="http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/Custom_CSS"]here[/url]. If your site requires customization, you may wish to consider requesting a quote from one of our authorized Professional designers by visiting [url="http://www.pagelines.com/pros/"]our Pros page[/url].

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

bizint
Because "I" have a space between the menu and sub menu? Its your menu not mine... simple....I've been working 8 months on my site...and its was working just fine until this framework "upgrade"....I have literally spent the last three days solid fixing all the little niggles and rubbish that was working fine in order to fix the framework "upgrade". I'm asking support for help...not free development time. The "upgrade" so far has cost me the upgrade....a further $300 moving my case study section across....and then it has also taken 3 days of mine own time fixing all the niggles. It took me a day alone just to get the simple and popular Breadcrumb Navtx plug-in working on my site. Some help widening a menu is not rocket science....and then it still doesn't work. The reason you get so many questions on your support site is because your documentation is poor and your upgrade needs a shit load of time (and money) to fix. So please dont complain to me about it....I should be complaining to you. If the framework upgrade was a "one click" upgrade as it should have been. I might have spent the last three days of my life earning money rather than spending it....but thanks for the broken nav menu that I will figure out how to fix myself - as with everything else that is broken.

bizint
Another thing...the reason I bought Pagelines was because I expected an easy to use CMS. Having come from dreamweaver, frontage and even swish... that was simple as....but making any changes in page;lines/wordpress...even small, such as fixing or widening a menu...has resulted in in a crash course in CSS...and even PHP... this is coding. I hadn't even heard of firebug before this... It may not get mentioned much on this forum...but the process has been a long drawn out pain in the backside. The ONLY saving grace is that the support on this forum has been relatively helpful and patient. I couldn't have got where I am without help...each step has taught me something I didn't know. But this is not for the faint hearted.

Danny
Hi, Try adding this to your custom CSS. [code]ul.sf-shadow ul.sub-menu, ul.sf-shadow ul.children {top: 30px !important;}[/code]

Please search our forums, before posting!