Sign in to follow this  
akpey1000

IE warning - "this page contains both secure and nonsecure items"

akpey1000

How can I make this warning go away for people using the Internet Explorer browser to visit equityscore.com? This problem only happens with Internet Explorer users whose "Display Mixed Content" setting is not enabled inside their Internet Options (Security tab). But there are other SSL sites like chase.com that do not cause this warning to pop up even when the IE browser's "Display Mixed Content" setting is not enabled. I tested the site with WhyNoPadLock.com. Non-secure links were not found. Test results also showed that secure calls to other websites are all valid and secure. I don't understand why this warning message pops up when there are no non-secure links. Could it be Frames? I thought PageLines doesn't use Frames. Plugins used are Akismet, Pagelines Sections, Post Types Order, s2Member, WassUp, and WordPress.com Stats. Thank you for your help.

Rob
Hi, The good news is I had no such message in IE9. The bad news is http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wassup/ - this plugin may be deprecated and is reported by two people as broken, out of 10 reporting. As it's grabbing data from the viewer's browser about their visit to your site, that's likely the culprit.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Rob
Was there something incorrect with my reply? I see you rejected it but didn't explain why? Do you need additional assistance?

akpey1000
Thanks for looking at this. I have deactivated the WassUp plugin. But I think the problem is somewhere else because this IE warning problem was first reported before WassUp was installed.

akpey1000
No, your reply was very helpful and I appreciate it. I deactivated WassUp but I believe the problem lies somewhere else. Any more ideas or clues from you or anyone would be great. Rangelone, thanks again for your comments.

Rob
The only other thing I can think of would be to try and deactivate WordPress.com Stats, which is also reported as broken. I'm terribly sorry I didn't look further into this one earlier. If that is deactivated and the problem persists, then perhaps the issue may be hosting related, in terms of the site's secure socket layer certificate. I've not gone through all your plugins. S2Member could possibly be a problem, though I've had none with it in past and use it personally on several of my sites. The first three on your list are all pretty much standard and shouldn't do anything that causes this problem. They and S2Member are all well maintained by their authors. It's possible this is simply a browser incompatibility issue with HTML5 and CSS3. Our developer is out till possibly Monday, so I'll beg your patience and hope that deactivating WordPress.com Stats fixes it. Meanwhile, I'll alert him to this.

akpey1000
We need the WordPress.com Stats plugin. Let's see what your developer says next week. Thanks for alerting your developer.

akpey1000
I'll take this issue up with the host as well.

Rob
I did notice on the WordPress.com Stats website that they're only updating that through JetPak. Perhaps you should replace the singular plugin with JetPak and get the latest version? That might resolve the issue and let you keep the functionality you're seeking.

akpey1000
I ran a quick experiment with Microsoft IE9. I visited equityscore.com with 2 PCs running IE9. One PC had this warning popup each time the user clicked to a different page on the site. The other PC had no problem. What can be done to make the site more robust?

Simon
The only unsecure link i can find is //www.s2member.com/s-badges/s-badge.php? which is a broken link anyway.

akpey1000
I ran a test using WhyNoPadLock.com and no unsecure link was found. Can you tell me how you found this unsecure link? And can I remove this unsecure link from the site?

Simon
Looking at it closer, that link is actually ok, ive tested with ie9 and its fine.