Sign in to follow this  
tandan

alt tags for features graphics

tandan

Please see the first thread from here: http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/18394/alt-tags-for-features-graphics#Item_3. it goes a little something like this: is there any way to add alt tags to the slider graphics? I did some testing with a JAWS (screen reader) user and she said that because the slider rotates through the graphics, it's very disorienting when scrolling through the site via audio rather than visually. she doesn't know why when she "goes back" there's other content she hears (because the slider has "moved on".) I think this could be solved easily by having an alt tag for the image so that it warns the blind user that there is a rotating graphic via text such as, "Rotating Graphic. Click to find out more about xxxxxxxx." This would help them understand that it was a rotating graphic and why they are hearing something new when they go back. An image only would then be used without any text and the image would have different text visible for the sighted visitor which wouldn't say, "rotating graphic" and confuse them. Is there any way to do this now that I'm overlooking? Is there a way to add the alt text in? --- catrina posted a response that said to use a plugin that would help put alt tags in--but the problem with that plugin is that is auto generates title/alt tags for images that have none based on strings but i don't want that...i need custom alt tags for each of the slider images for the reasons mentioned above. which then made me realize, hey, the image itself for the featured slider is in the media library. duh. so i changed the alt tag there in the media library but it doesn't get picked up by the screen reader. why not? why does setting it in the features area as "full-width image background no text links entire BG" with no link strip the alt tag? i've left the first slide with the modified alt tag running here on the site at www.cabvi.mpwclient.com if someone can take a look at it and help me out! the alt tag should read:

Rotating Text. Click to find out more about how Central Industries is the sole supplier of examination gloves to the Federal Transportation Security Administration for security screenings at 460 major airports across the United States.
thanks so much!! tan

Rob
Tan, the Internet, not just WordPress or PageLines does not use "Alt" tags for background images. However, you can use the Media area instead of the background area for the slider, in which you'd add your own HTML code for each slide and in that case you can place an ALT tag in your code. That should resolve your issue easily without plugins.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Simon
The feature slider does NOT use alt tags for full width backgrounds, as div backgrounds do not support alt tags. If you upload images in the media section of the features there is no option for alt tags, its not built in. If you really want this you will have to have the feature section custom coded to make provision for per feature/image tags, this is something you could either take on yourself or hire someone to customize the code for you, but its beyond the scope of basic forum support.

tandan
Hi Rangealone! You're dead on! I got it to work! Awesome awesome awesome!!! Thank you so much for your help!! woohoo! i'm a happy camper and it's a great way to start the weekend. :)

pageliner
@Tan Hi Tan. Can you tell me what you did? I need to add alt text for my feature images as well. I don't use background images, just the feature media image. Thanks.

tandan
@pageliner Hi! Have you figured it out yet? I basically just added the html code in the media area... Mine was: [code]Rotating Text. Click for Info on Employment Services. Empowering People Through Employment. We provide job opportunites and employment services to people who are blind or visually impaired, helping them achieve financial freedom and independence.[/code] Hope that helps!