Sign in to follow this  
oksodavid

Custom Post not loading template

oksodavid

I now have my custom post & custom post archive inside PL2 settings - template. What I can't seem to do now is get the custom post url called within the template or should I say the sections I define within the template loaded within the url.

Danny
Hi David, When you say Custom Post and Custom Post Archive, are you talking about Custom Post Types ? If so how have you added the Custom Post Types, via a plug-in ?

Please search our forums, before posting!

oksodavid
Hi Danny, yes, via workshop plug. The Custom Post and Custom Post Archive appear in 'For Which Type of Page?' and I can add sections to 'Active'. Then on custom post type edit page - PL Meta, I can see the sections are active. What I don't get is when the url is rendered all the PL elements are omitted.

oksodavid
Hi Catrina, 'Reader' & 'Content Box". They show in the page meta: Page Setup/Individual Page Section Control/Template/ eg, 'Hide Reader', as in it should be visible.

oksodavid
In case it helps, I can load reader on other pages/templates, it only wont load on custom post type. I did notice though that when reader is inserted on other templates it is full width. Why can't it be inserted within the post content, as the 'content box' can?

catrina
Thanks for the insight. The column area for the custom post type functions differently than the overall page template, so that may be the issue, and since Reader is a section installed from the store, maybe there is a conflict with another plugin that you have.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

oksodavid
Hi Catina, I didn't want to confuse two issues together by mentioning Reader. Can you just reiterate your thinking for the 'custom post type functions differently than the overall page template' update. I've tried reloading the url with everything bar the custom post plug enabled, no joy though. Im new to framework so I dont get the anatomy well yet, but in PPro I'd need to set the containers to get external template to play nice. It seems I'm missing this element for framework. My template files begin:
However the base template begins:

catrina
What I meant was that the custom post type is structured differently from a regular page template, but I'm not exactly sure if that's the issue. If the Reader is loading on other templates but not in the custom post type (and Content Box is working), then it's probably an issue with the Reader.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

oksodavid
Neither reader or contentbox appear on my custom post. Aside the non appearance of reader and contentbox, the main reason for this thread is that Im missing how to contain the custom post content within the Framework grid. Is there a custom post plug that is compatible with Framework? If I take a look at that I might see whats missing from my workshop template.

catrina
I researched around. Thanks for your patience :). I found out that it may not be possible for Reader or Content Box to appear in a custom post type at all because you're trying to put a section into a post rather than a post into a section. Sections can't be put into posts.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

oksodavid
OK, great, that clarifies that =( So, can you advise me how I contain my fluid custom post within the framework. Or, can you have a look at the url and advise if there a cleaner PL Framework method for me to approach posting multiple resorts within the framework.

oksodavid
Reader can go in standard post, however, if section is inserted below post it will be pushed down by comments, which means the only option is to include the reader meta info at the full width head of the post. http://nealsyardholidays.com/blog/2012/03/need-a-may-bank-holiday-break/

catrina
Are you nixing the Reader/Content Box idea completely or do you still want to accomplish something similar to the Reader within the post for a resort?

Designer | Catrina Dulay

oksodavid
I'd thrown Contentbox and Fittext just to see whats going on. All I want is reader at the bottom of the post content before postloop (share and comments etc). The other issue is, if reader cant be contained within post content, the side bar contents will push the section down beyond base of post content.

catrina
Maybe there is a plugin that provides something similar to the Reader and can be placed in a post. I haven't heard of or seen such a plugin, but there might be one available in the WordPress plugin directory: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/

Designer | Catrina Dulay

oksodavid
OK, will go digging. One thing you might help me with, if you can, any idea why my custom post is falling outside Framework grid? The Blog fails as does the post: http://nealsyardholidays.com/workshops/

catrina
It looks like a margin issue involving Workshop, so the margin may require some adjustment using CSS that can be added Custom Code > Custom CSS. Using Firebug (available at http://getfirebug.com) can help you find the code you need for a fix: http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/Custom_CSS#How_to_use_CSS_Inspection_Tools

Designer | Catrina Dulay

oksodavid
Ok, if you have any news on reader working inside a post, I'd love to hear! Thanks for all your help. D

oksodavid
I can load Reader in 'more footer' http://nealsyardholidays.com/workshops/3/ Now onto my next two issues, 1. I can't load postloop (share and comments etc). 2. On reader its infers: (Default Tab Text - The text/html shown on the default tab for the reader) but the 1st tab on reader is from the set so as soon as a user click on a tab the default page meta is lost to any navigation thereafter. Is this how reader is meant to function? The only way to get the home reader content is reload the page.

catrina
The Reader seems to be functioning as it should when I see it (it loads correctly without me having to reload) but on the Home page, a duplicate of the Reader is showing.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

oksodavid
Yes, exactly, and if I want to be able to navigate back to the initial screen, before what you're calling the Home page, I'd have to reload the whole page to get to it. Meaning, you can't use the 1st visual screen for any content that a user would need to get back to. That to me seems very unintuitive. Any ideas for a fix?

oksodavid
Also, re: http://nealsyardholidays.com/retreats/ do custom post trigger the same value that the blog stream holds? You can see both retreats and blog are showing as active rollovers. Bizarrely, when I go so a single entry eg. http://nealsyardholidays.com/retreats/ayurveda-and-yoga-holidays-by-the-sea-southern-sri-lanka/ the blog becomes highlighted and retreat, of which is part of the url, displays inactive.

oksodavid
Last question, in my reader you can see the 1st tab is 'Location' with img left - class="ngg-singlepic ngg-left". Is there something I need to know about the code in reader that's overiding the normal wrap of that class?

oksodavid
Hi, is there a template, or documentation, for building custom post types? I've got so far but I can't work out why my sidebar isn't loading. http://nealsyardholidays.com/retreats/ayurveda-and-yoga-holidays-by-the-sea-southern-sri-lanka/