Sign in to follow this  
thanp73

Possible widget bug?

thanp73

I have the checkbox in admin set to 'hide widgets when empty' yet widgets enabled in my template with nothing in them still appear with the default 'put widgets here' text. I do not want to put an empty text widget in empty widget areas because that ends up with lots of dead space due to padding. ideally, I'd really have widget areas that are empty just have nothing there- seems like this should work per the theme, but it does not- Is this a bug?

Danny
Hi, When you use tick the option for "Hide widgets when empty", default widgets or the "Put widgets here" text will appear to show users what sidebar is used in this location. If you wish to have no widgets available simply change your layout to full width, using the PageLines Meta Settings on the Post/Page editor page.

Please search our forums, before posting!

thanp73
no that's not what I wanted- I want the widget location enabled in the template, however there are some pages where I do not want the widget contents appearing- which I control thru dynamic widgets. so if not appearing on a page, I'd like nothing, rather than the default 'put widget here' sutff, and I don??™t want an empty text widget either, because it stuffs lots of spacing and padding in. isn??™t there a way to do what the checkbox says ' hide widgets when empty'??? I mean, that sure sounds like it should do what it says.??¦ rather than actually 'filling widgets with default when empty'

Rob
Hi, I think there's a misunderstanding fundamental to your question. The option in Dashboard > PageLines > Settings > Website Setup doesn't say 'hide widgets when empty'. You're misreading it. The option says "Hide Sidebars When Empty (no widgets)" and it comes under "Remove Default Sidebars When Empty Hide default sidebars when sidebars have no widgets in them" . The notation to the right explains "This allows you to remove sidebars completely when they have no widgets in them." If you do not wish sidebars to show, then you must go into the page's "PageLines Meta Settings" and hide the sidebars there. Then, with that meta setting checked (to hide each sidebar that you wish hidden) and the "Hide Sidebars When Empty" option also checked, you will not see any sidebars or options to add widgets. Additionally, the combination of the two is the ONLY way to deactivate the div that is placed in the template for the sidebar space. If you were to use the PageLines Meta Settings only, the sidebars would be hidden but a blank space would appear. Using the Hide Sidebars When Empty option disables the div. It does not work if the post or page itself has the sidebars active. I hope this explains it but if you need further information, I'd suggest reading http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/How_to_Use_the_Website_Setup_Settings and http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/How_to_Use_the_Page_Setup_Settings.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

jankowalski
That s funny, but i understand it the same way as thanp73 so i guess this is confiusing. I m pretty sure, it was actually hiding those sections in platform pro, without need to hiding the section on specific page, am i wrong?

Danny
I don't quite understand what you're after to be honest. You want it so that when you have no active widgets the sidebar space is empty but still visible ? If so may I ask why you would want this?

Please search our forums, before posting!