Sign in to follow this  
kris

Catalog plugin or secondary blog

kris

I am looking for a way to display and organize a catalog of available resources and tools that compliment our solution. This will end up being a huge list so I am looking at an easy way to show and search this info. The information I am looking to display relatively simple: 1) Title/Name of Tool 2) one paragraph description 3) Link 1 4) Link 2 5) Link 3 6) Tags (type of resource, industry, other) Would be great to be able to generate a tag cloud or have some way to allow users to navigate this info by tags. There are two ways I can see this work. One is to use the blog feature and just create a post for each and every item with tag and all. Is there a way to create a secondary blog within WP to handle this? The other solution is some kind of a plugin that allows me to create catalog entries that are displayed in a table or somehow on the page, and with tag cloud or search feature. I have searched through and looked at some plugins for catalogs but I haven't found anything useful.

Danny
Hi, Are you going to be selling these items or just displaying information about them ?

Please search our forums, before posting!

kris
Not selling these. Just displaying information about these items that includes three different links (download, licence, project page) and tag for easy navigation.

catrina
[quote]1) Title/Name of Tool 2) one paragraph description 3) Link 1 4) Link 2 5) Link 3 6) Tags (type of resource, industry, other)[/quote] ^ You can use a Box to display this information for each tool you have, but since you're going to be using tags, you may need to use individual posts (since Boxes can't have tags) and these posts may need to be displayed in a grid type format similar to the format of a catalog.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

kris
Yes, I have considered using the blog feature for this and just create a post for each item. But I don't want to mix this in with the blog. Is there a plugin that allows me to have just the posts that are categorized in a certain way to show up on a page that is separate from the blog page? And a separate (but related question) do you know how I remove blog specific info from the posts that show up on this separate page (e.g. author, date, time... )?

Rob
@kris, there are dozens of catalog plugins available at http://www.wordpress.org/extend/plugins. I'm loathe to recommend one versus the other because you know more of what you're ultimate design goals are than I would. That said, you can also implement this goal with a variety of other tools. For example, I have a glossary on my site with nearly 20,000 food and beverage definitions. I use a plugin called CustomPress which let's me create customized taxonomies (categories) for my definitions, separating out each into very specific groupings. As for the tag cloud, that's a rather simple issue of making sure each post for an item in your catalog has been properly keyworded. That's usually best done manually. I've found plugins don't always do as good a job as one might hope. In terms of your elements to the site, you might also want to create custom fields, so that you can enter your content the way you wish. WordPress let's you do this and CustomPress or other plugins, paid or free, will let you accomplish this with relative ease. Admittedly, the paid ones are better and not too expensive. Roughly about $20US.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Rob
Oh, we have Pro designers available who could help you structure this so that all you need do is your data entry. Visit http://www.pagelines.com/pros

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

kris
Thanks for all the help. I solved this by using the WP-Table Reloaded plugin.